Age and Behavior requirements; Privacy & Contributor Assignment of Rights Agreement – Young Writers Project
Welcome to the Young Writers Project, a respectful community for youths from anywhere in the world.
YWP reserves the right to contact you to a) verify that what you have sent is yours, b) to notify you when work has been selected for publication. c)in connection with any award that might be given for your work and/or d) to contact you, from time to time, to update you regarding the Young Writers Project events, offerings or policies.
You may, at any time, notify Geoffrey Gevalt either by phone (802-324-9537) or by e-mail to request that you not receive updates.
AGE requirements.Please also understand that you must be 13 years old or over to register for this site. If you are under 13, you must have a parent sign a parental consent form which can be found at this location: permission form. This form must be sent to Young Writers Project Inc., 47 Maple St., Suite 106, Burlington, VT, 05401
We are pleased you are contributing work to the Young Writers Project as a writer, visual artist, musician, filmmaker or dramatist. We have one simple rule for behavior on this site: Be respectful. That applies to all of your posts and interactions on this site. We trust you. Be safe. Continue to make this site an exemplar of civil expression on the Web.
Young Writers Project, Inc., is a small, independent, non-profit organization (501c3) that aims to provide you with this space AND publish your best work externally to bring you greater audience. To do this, we must establish clear legal ownership to ensure we have the rights to publish the works being submitted to external publications and to authorize publication of the works in other publications of any format, including our own. Our aim is to have as many people as possible see the work you create on or submit to this site.
While the legal language might be off-putting, it is important for you to read this entire agreement and understand it. The thumbnail is this: Upon your acceptance of this agreement below, YWP will retain the copyright to all material submitted; HOWEVER, it immediately reassigns back to you, unconditionally, ALL commercial rights to do whatever you wish with your work without any need to contact us, credit us or pay us. AND should you ever have need to have the full copyright for an individual piece of work, merely contact us and we will so assign back to you that copyright. Again, this is a legal and sensible solution to our need to be able to easily and efficiently publish your work with external partners -- newspapers, magazines, other Web sites, etc.
In plainer English, YWP retains copyrights to publish your work but you retain the commercial copyrights to do anything you wish with your piece forever.
If you have questions, contact: Young Writers Project, Inc., Executive Director Geoffrey Gevalt, by clicking here, or by writing him at Geoffrey Gevalt, Young Writers Project Inc, 47 Maple St., Suite 160, Burlington,, Vt., 05401, or phone 802-324-9537
By submitting this work to Young Writers Project Inc. you are hereby granting your consent and agreement to the following:
- The Young Writers Project irrevocably owns rights, title and interest to the work submitted to the Young Writers Project in perpetuity and throughout the world;
- These rights include, but are not limited to: the right to publish or license others to publish the work in full, in part, in summarized, altered, or excerpted versions, and with updates, at any time in hard copy, on the Internet, via television or radio broadcast, in hard-copy or electronic reprints, in hard-copy or electronic bulletins or anthologies, or in a computer-accessed databases, information retrieval systems or other archives, including on CD or DVD, or in or using any other media existing now or to be devised hereafter, all with no payment to the author;
- The Young Writers may edit the work to conform with its size, format, style, or other requirements. You also agree to cooperate with the Young Writers Project in verifying the work, responding to questions about the work and in responding to any complaints, claims or litigation that may arise regarding the work;
- You are not an employee of the Young Writers Project.
Further, you warrant that, to the best of your knowledge:
- That the author/creator of the work being submitted is the sole creator of the work, that the work is original, free of plagiarism and not previously published elsewhere in whole or in part;
- The rights to the work have not previously assigned, transferred, encumbered or conveyed such rights; and
- Reasonable care has been taken to ensure that the work does not defame, libel, slander, violate rights of privacy or infringe the copyright, proprietary rights or any other rights of any third party.
In turn, Young Writers Project, Inc., automatically assigns back to the author, creator of work posted here the full COMMERCIAL rights to the work(s) in perpetuity, meaning the author/creator can reuse, republish, sell, assign rights to others for purposes of publication or any potential use free of any obligation to Young Writers Project, Inc., including, but not limited to, notification, acknowledgment, credit or recompense to Young Writers Project, Inc.
If you have any questions about this agreement, do not hesitate to contact Geoffrey Gevalt, executive director of Young Writers Project, Inc.
Click here if you have read and agree to terms and are ready to submit.