Do you have questions? We have answers!
(If there is a question you do not see answered here, contact GG at [email protected]oungwritersproject.org or send him a private message OR, put a comment to the right.)
Who runs this place?
This site is managed by Young Writers Project which consists of Geoffrey Gevalt, the founder; Susan Reid, the publication coordinator; and Rajnii Eddins, the Artistic Director. The primary webmaster is Geoffrey (gg), founder of YWP, a Vermont-based nonprofit. Private message him with any suggestions, questions, problems or complaints.
HOWEVER, YWP depends on all users to help run this community of respect and creativity, particularly Community Leaders, who are a group of youths from all over who have been given the power to help select work for publication, create challenges and resources, choose work for Recommended and Daily Reads.
How can I be chosen as a Community Leader?
YWP chooses leaders by the number of Community Points they attain through posting, commenting and adding images and audio and by observation of a user's consistent energy, participation, commenting and growth.
What are Community Points?
Community points are awarded every time you post something, comment on someone else's work, add images or audio to your posts or invite a friend to join AND if that friend joins the community. As you gain more community points, you are given more privileges on the site and if you become a Community Leader you can help select work for publication, create resources and challenges, recommend and/or choose work as Daily Reads and participate more closely in making changes on this site.
The role progression based on points is NEW WRITER >> COMMUNITY BUILDER >> SENIOR WRITER >> COMMUNITY LEADER
There is no set number of points that automatically earns you a new role. The decision is made with staff, volunteers and Community Leaders. We are looking for overall engagement with the community as the driving force.
What happens when I graduate from high school?
STAY! Or at least we hope you will stay on the site, sharing work, giving people comments, sharing your audio and images. We ask only that you contact us and we will make you a MENTOR. This will allow you to work more closely with users when they are taking advantage of our online Workshops in the YWP Academy. Some MENTORS also work for us -- in person or virtually -- as Interns or as paid Fellows and sometimes for college credit. And MENTORS also create and run YWP Academy workshops.
What's the YWP Academy?
This link will show you what's available, but each month we have new interactive workshops in some aspect of writing or digital media. You are welcome to jump in anytime if they are live. Instructors and mentors receive notification when you post and comment and we'll be in shortly to give you feedback. These workshops are intended to be relatively attainable and fun while pushing you a bit to go deeper and learn more. This is a different way to learn and we encourage you to see if your school will give you credit for doing some of these.
IF THEY ARE WILLING, please get in touch with gg to arrange for you to get what you need to get school credit.
These are free. You should try one out!
How do I upload photos to my post?
There are two ways:
- In your blog create form, click ADD MEDIA and select a single photo to upload or use ADVANCED UPLOAD to drag and drop multiple photos to upload.
- NOTE: When you use this option, the photo is scaled to a 3/2 ratio (horizontal/vertical) so if you are uploading a vertical photo, it will be cropped. You can offset this by editing the photo and expanding the "canvas" around the photo to re-proportion the image to a 3/2 ratio. The image will be smaller but it will not be cropped.
- NOTE: When you use this option and upload multiple photos, they will automatically be turned into a SLIDE SHOW.
- In your blog "body" box, put your cursor where you'd like the photo to appear; click the
- NOTE: This method will scale your photo to fit the webframe, regardless of device used, but the photo will not be cropped. This is the best method for vertical photos.
- NOTE: This is also a good method for including a photo within a text. To further edit your photo so it appears the way you want, RIGHT CLICK the photo after it has been placed in the body of your post and click "IMAGE PROPERTIES" ... There you can alter the size, add a border (usually "1), give it Hspace ("10" is best) or Vspace (leave blank is best) and Alignment (usually "left)).
How do I embed video on my post?
Your video has to be published on a video sharing site such as vimeo.com or youtube.com. Go to the video and in the "Share" section, select embed, and copy the code.
Return to your post and in the ADD MEDIA section, scoll down to MEDIA EMBED and past your code in there. Put some text in the "Body" of your post so people know something about the video.
How do I embed a Facebook video to my post?
First, go to the video you want to show. You can do this with LIVE video, too. Copy the url of the actual video.
Then go here: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/embedded-video-player#confi...
Follow the instructions and paste your url into the proper spot.
You will see TWO blocks of code. Copy the first, return to your post and go to ADD MEDIA>> MEDIA EMBED and paste in the code.
Return to the Facebook page above. Now copy the second block of code.
Return to your post, to the Media Embed block and paste the additional code immediately below the other code
Put text in the body to explain.