BOOK LAUNCH TODAY!

Hi everyone! Iris here! This is the very special Anthology 11 Edition of Line Break, where I talk with six writers and artists who are published in the anthology!

I spoke with:
  • Audrey (amaryllis on YWP) about her poem, “I Failed” (page 35, Anthology 11), taking inspiration from failure, writing as a form of catharsis, and feeling motivated by the YWP community.
  • Sam (Love to write on YWP) about her poem, “For My Dad, When He Was Eight” (page 8), writing about ordinary things, historical fiction, and short stories.
  • Lauren (laurenm on YWP) about four of her photos (pages 6, 9, 18, 47), darkroom photography, combining writing and photography, and the importance of different perspectives.
  • Lily (dogpoet on YWP) about her poem, “I Can’t Write in A Box” (page 24), not forcing your writing to fit into a mold, taking inspiration from life experiences, and writing fanfiction.
  • Jadyn (Treblemaker on YWP) about her poem “My Father’s Daisy Apron” (page 51), how quarantine affected our writing, working on music, taking inspiration from family, and the YWP Social Distancing Journal. Oh, and the mystery of Vermont's maple creemees!
  • Marina (Marina2020 on YWP) about her short story, “Books and Coffee” (page 28), settings, writing poetry versus short stories, the idea of YWP as a second home, and the power of Tiny Writes.
I hope you enjoy listening to the podcast! And congratulations again to everyone who is published in the anthology!
- Iris (eyesofIris on YWP)

TO ORDER COPIES OF ANTHOLOGY 11: Email YWP Executive Director Susan Reid at [email protected]; include your name, mailing address, and number of requested copies. Suggested donation $10/copy (Click here or go to the Donate button on the site). If you haven't received a copy of the anthology yet, and want to follow along with the podcast, check out the attached PDF.

Special thanks to THE GEORGE W. MERGENS FOUNDATION  who made publication of Anthology 11 possible!

Audio download:
Anth11EditedALL!!!!.mp3

Today's Tiny Write

For a brief moment I thought justice itself had died, I felt everything collapse. But then I read dogpoet's poem, Notorious RBG (You are still here). RBG not only held America accountable, she showed us what it means to be a Supreme Court justice. She righted America's moral compass. Trump will never be able to replace her. If he tries, we, the people, will balance the scales of justice! Rest in power RBG, and in peace, knowing that we haven't lost faith.
- Yellow Sweater

Add your tiny write to Tiny Writes, here (or in top menu under YWP COMMUNITY). See tiny highlights here.

Documenting a pandemic

[Cover art by cedar]
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN THE WORLD STOPS? Young Writers Project and YWP alumna Adelle Brunstad are working together to document the COVID-19 pandemic through the eyes of YWPers. We are collecting your candid reflections of the strangest period of our lives in words, photos, and art. Share your observations, moments, realizations, frustrations, laughter, sadness, fears, hopes -- whatever you're thinking, feeling, seeing. When this is all over, we will create a digital book documenting the coronavirus days. Check in here for all updates about the project. Where to start? The COVID-19 challenge for writing and COVID-Art for photos and art.

Thank you, thank you, thank you

What a wonderful day it was Friday as so many many people participated in VERMONT WRITES DAY!

The day was Young Writers Project's annual day of honoring writing, a day when people of all ages in Vermont (and our friends around the country) took just seven minutes (or more) to write to any of seven fun prompts, including 4Photos (above). Or they picked "General" and wrote about their own ideas. 

Many schools participated and principals, teachers, teachers' aides, visitors also jumped in. Many schools reported that their entire school participated and also took time out to share what had been written.

We could ask for nothing more to show the importance of writing and the fun of writing.

The Jump

The Jump
My feet crunched the snow as my thick boots led me toward the hill. It was mid-winter, a warmer day than most, and the tramping was making my forehead sweat. My friend Clementine was ahead of me, my short legs and puffy snowsuit weighing me down-and slowing me down. Finally, I reached the top of the hill. I sat down, not caring if my butt got wet or not. Mindlessly, my mittens picked up a ball of snow and packed it evenly. This was the best packing snow of the winter. It was the perfect mixture of wet and fluffy, a combination rare at least to Vermont. Judson, another friend, was thinking the same thing.

The YWP story

The Voice - Fall 2018

Final SoundCheck tonight!