Hildene Essay Contest

Every year, Hildene, The Lincoln Family Home in Manchester, VT, runs the Lincoln Essay Competition for 8th graders throughout Vermont.  

First place winners receive $1000, second place $750, third place $500, and honorable mentions $250.

The deadline for submissions is Lincoln’s birthday, February 12, 2018. This year’s topic:

This year's essay topic:

VOICES FOR CHANGE Friday, May 11

Writers Please Read!

Hello writers!
As many of you know, our website was compromised last weekend when the server that houses the site had a problem. As a result, we had to remove all material posted between 4/17 and 4/21 for a few tech-y reasons we need not get into.
Fear not - we did not lose the material and we've reposted it. (You should see your work reposted in your personal blogs now.)
HOWEVER - despite not losing the writing, we have lost much of its corresponding data. This includes:

SoundCheck rocked!

Randolph Student's Account of D.C. March

By Natalie Strand, Randolph Union High School sophomore

On Friday, March 23, I boarded the Amtrak in Randolph with 11 of my peers and three teachers, not knowing what to expect of the March of Our Lives in Washington DC. I’ve been to protests before, small ones in Montpelier and big city ones in Boston, but never had I marched on Washington before.

Coverage of The March: Washington, around U.S., Montpelier; NYTimes, VTDigger and others

Parkland Stories

Voices for Change

Ongoing: What Can You Do? Write, of course. A challenge set up for the rising activism by high school students against the gun violence happening in schools. What's your take?
March 14: Enough: National School Walkout: Across the U.S., a walkout for 17 minutes at 10 a.m. to honor the 17 lives lost in the Parkland, Fla., school shooting and to demand action on gun violence. 
March 24: March For Our Lives will march in Washington DC -- and in communities across the US -- to end gun violence and mass shootings in schools. Are you marching?
April 20: Change.org is organizing a national high school student walkout against gun violence on the 19th anniversary of the Columbine shooting.

I am the one with a dream ...