Today's Tiny Write

the hardest transition from high school to college will be, “i should do that because it will look good on my application” to, “i should do that because i want to”
semacdonald

And these responses:

I'm only in tenth grade and I still relate to that so deeply. Thank you.
- Fiona Ella

As a new college student, I can assure you that it is indeed strange and a difficult transition, but it's so unbelievably freeing when you finally do what you want to do. I've never been happier. The change will be unbelievably worth it. Live your life for you.
- Drift

Add your tiny write to Tiny Writes, here (or in top menu). See highlights here.

Hildene Essay Contest

Every year, Hildene, The Lincoln Family Home in Manchester, VT, runs the Lincoln Essay Competition for 8th graders throughout Vermont.  

First place winners receive $1000, second place $750, third place $500, and honorable mentions $250.

The deadline for submissions is Lincoln’s birthday, February 12, 2018. This year’s topic:

This year's essay topic:
Describe a current or recent event in which the actions of the participant(s) may be viewed as patriotic by some and as unpatriotic by others.  Discuss the differing points of view.  What is your position and why?

Complete application packets (including guidelines and tips) can be downloaded: http://www.hildene.org/schools.html.

Contact: Stephanie at [email protected]

Jul 31

Tiny Highlights

Editor's Note: Here are some of the highlighted Tiny Writes published on the front page in recent weeks. Enjoy:

I love the way you have no idea how much I love you.
Rubber Soul

Writing prompt (I honestly have no idea where this would lead but I thought of it in science class and thought it was funny in a situational way): aliens arrive in our solar system. For one reason or another, they mistake Mars for the planet containing life... and the Mars Rovers for the species native to Mars.
- Fiona Ella

If we are all equal, why do some languages have multiple ways of addressing people? shouldn't everyone be treated as a friend AND with respect?
- dogpoet

I Rise Up.
But no one is there to see me.
So why rise up at all?
I Rise Up.
For Me.
Jul 22

YWP's new address!

Voices for Change! This Friday

Don't miss this FREE youth conference and slam poetry celebration of identity and voice with special guest artist Amir Sulaiman, renowned Muslim slam poet. Voices for Change is presented by Young Writers Project, Muslim Girls Making Change (MGMC) & our generous sponsors!
Friday, May 11, 4-9 pm
Contois Auditorium, Burlington City Hall, Burlington, VT
Free and open to all (some material might not be suitable for children under 13).
"Amir Sulaiman is going to own the stage during his performance and will leave the crowd in complete awe, just how he left me in awe when I first saw him."
- Lena Ginawi, Muslim Girls Making Change

​An Appreciation Speech to Candy

By Michael Fernandez

I just want to take a moment to give a shout-out to candy because none of this would have been possible without it.  Candy has been there for me in the good times and the bad times, and also in all the times in between. Special mention goes to gummy bears, sour gummies, jelly beans, Nutella, cookies, and s’mores. Ice cream for being there in my sad moments, popsicles for being there to share the happy ones.

We never listened to the haters like broccoli who said we couldn’t make it. I want to thank my organs for somehow supporting my candy diet. You’ve never let me down. We’re in this together. I can’t believe this all started off as a small dream of just eating a candy bar when it grew into so much more – a world full of ice cream sundaes, fudge, cakes, and puddings. You all mean the world to me. Thank you for being there whenever I need you!

Writers Please Read!

Hello writers!
As many of you know, our website was compromised last weekend when the server that houses the site had a problem. As a result, we had to remove all material posted between 4/17 and 4/21 for a few tech-y reasons we need not get into.
Fear not - we did not lose the material and we've reposted it. (You should see your work reposted in your personal blogs now.)
HOWEVER - despite not losing the writing, we have lost much of its corresponding data. This includes:

SoundCheck rocked!

Randolph Student's Account of D.C. March

By Natalie Strand, Randolph Union High School sophomore

On Friday, March 23, I boarded the Amtrak in Randolph with 11 of my peers and three teachers, not knowing what to expect of the March of Our Lives in Washington DC. I’ve been to protests before, small ones in Montpelier and big city ones in Boston, but never had I marched on Washington before.