Winter Tales 2018

Congratulations to this year's YWP writers whose poems and stories will be presented at WINTER TALES by Vermont Stage, Dec. 12-16, at Main Street Landing Black Box Theatre, 60 Lake Street, 3rd Floor, Burlington, VT. Read on for the winners. Click here for tickets.

Snow Dawn

Waking up
To the silent sound 
Of snowflakes twirling 
To the ground.
It's barely dawn
With the sun rising 
from its chambers 
beneath the mountains,
The stars unwilling to dim 
their short-lived light.
Yet the snowflakes mirror them,
Drifting to fill the valleys
In a cold, crisp carpet.
Walking out
To the half-darkness of winter,
The beauty within the ice,
The sword within the stone.
Sensing the danger in the snow,
Yet unable to pull away
From trees that seem to glow.
No one has ever been able to resist Winter.
It's the right time for wonder.
If you're going to take a plunge into mystery,
Then waking up to snowflakes
Falling outside your window
Is, perhaps, the best way to do it. 

The Jump

The Jump
My feet crunched the snow as my thick boots led me toward the hill. It was mid-winter, a warmer day than most, and the tramping was making my forehead sweat. My friend Clementine was ahead of me, my short legs and puffy snowsuit weighing me down-and slowing me down. Finally, I reached the top of the hill. I sat down, not caring if my butt got wet or not. Mindlessly, my mittens picked up a ball of snow and packed it evenly. This was the best packing snow of the winter. It was the perfect mixture of wet and fluffy, a combination rare at least to Vermont. Judson, another friend, was thinking the same thing.

The Voice - Fall 2018

Dec. 13!

Teen Writing Workshop and Open Mic with Slam Poet and YWP Artistic Director Rajnii Eddins at Burlington City Arts, 135 Church Street, Burlington, VT. It's FREE! There's pizza! Open to all!
NEXT ONE! THURSDAY Dec. 13, 6-8 PM

YWP Events 2018-19

Today's Tiny Write

Finally

I think it's taken four long years for me to discover that confidence is key; 
that the true love for myself comes inside of me.
I've cut out the toxic "friends"
and found ones that show me love isn't pretend.
I can finally look in the mirror and not look for flaws
but finally, see something beautiful and the cause
isn't makeup or hair 
but it's just me, and I don't care
what others will think or say
because I love myself and I like it that way.
nataliecartwright

Add your tiny write to Tiny Writes, here (or in top menu under Write). See highlights here.

Hildene Essay Contest

Every year, Hildene, The Lincoln Family Home in Manchester, VT, runs the Lincoln Essay Competition for 8th graders throughout Vermont.  

First place winners receive $1000, second place $750, third place $500, and honorable mentions $250.

The deadline for submissions is Lincoln’s birthday, February 12, 2018. This year’s topic:

This year's essay topic:
Describe a current or recent event in which the actions of the participant(s) may be viewed as patriotic by some and as unpatriotic by others.  Discuss the differing points of view.  What is your position and why?

Complete application packets (including guidelines and tips) can be downloaded: http://www.hildene.org/schools.html.

Contact: Stephanie at [email protected]

YWP Recently