poem challenge: Sunrise
ccfitz's picture

Sunrise

The Sunrise.

Houses line the lonely streets, and the sun is gradually rising. 
Beautiful flaming rays of gold dance across the barren streets and cast light across the cobblestone brick.
 Birds fly in formation toward the south, and the empty streets come alive.
 I feel like a cold blanket smothering my heart is letting go and flying.
 A light snow shower drizzles me with cold cotton balls. The sun melts them and warms both my body, and heart. 
I stick out my tounge to taste the cool balls of white,
and look up to the sun, its brilliance, oh so bright.
I smell sweet lavender candles, and feel the cold snow on my bare feet.
I inhale through my nose and stare down at the street

fiction challenge: Folklore
ccfitz's picture

The Farmer and His Children

Once upon a time, by a small cottage in a meadow, filled with summer flowers and corn, children played. Their names were “Jack and Sally”. Their father, Greg, was a farmer and built their cottage from the trees in the nearby forest long ago.

Their mother, Jane, (Tried) to watch over them and keep them in line but the children were incorrigible.
 Once, when their father was gone, and their mother was inside, Sally and Jack decided to go on an adventure (not knowing the danger of the woods). They took some food and set off. Later, Jane looked through the window, but the youngsters were nowhere in sight.

“Sally! Jack!” She hollered “Where are you?!” Desperation hollowed her voice. Soon she saw Greg coming closer. “Oh Greg I’ve looked all over for them!” “Whom?” Inquired Greg, “Our children!!!” She cried.
nonfiction challenge: Summer
ccfitz's picture

Busking on Church Street

Church Street was abuzz with activity as I walked down the brick cobblestones. When I discovered a spot across from the restaurant, the diners there shifted in their seats, obviously bracing for unpleasant squeakiness. They probably think that random 10-year-olds aren’t that good.

I tuned my violin and tightened my bow. My violin is dark brown and has beautiful tone. Given I’m 10 years old and 4’4”, my violin’s pretty small.

Then, I took a deep breath and let the romantic tone of “Czardas” by Monti flow through me. “Czardas” has a deep melodic tone that has been known worldwide.

I tuned out and with every shift in position, every bow push or pull, I felt peaceful, happy.

When I opened my eyes my case was filled to the brim with money, and the diners now clapped and smiled.

Before I knew it the song was over and applause surrounded me and I bowed, unable to do anything else.