Hannah Campbell's picture

A Realistic Fairytale: Snow White and The Seven Dwarves

Once upon a time, long, long ago, a king and queen ruled over a distant land. The ruling couple was kind, fair and just, and they wished very much to have a child. Alas, they were unable to bear one and would weep and cry all the time.

One day, in the middle of a freezing-cold winter night, the queen was doing needlework and sitting by the window, when she was startled by a bluebird who let out a shrill cry. Accidentally, she pricked her finger and a drop of her blood fell upon the snow. “Oh, how I wish I had a daughter whose lips were as red as blood, whose hair was as black as the ebony sky, and whose skin was as pale and white as the snow. . .” she sighed.

Then, lo and behold, on day the queen found herself pregnant. The entire kingdom rejoiced that day, for they themself had been waiting years for a new princess or prince to arrive. They threw great parties and feasts and everything was filled with laughing an singing.
Hannah Campbell's picture

Snowflake Ball

Tim walked down the hall,
dressed up for the Snowflake Ball.

In the middle of the wall,
was a painting of a snowball

And it was quite so small,
that it wasn't viewable at all.

Meanwhile, Tim found a doll
that he had found after a fall

When he went for a crawl
wearing his grandmother's white shawl.

Hannah Campbell's picture

Anger

Anger eats you up then spits you back out, quite more ferocious than before. It is a dark storm brewing that cracks open a spews out lightning and sharp, piercing hail bits and puncturing the vulnerable, tender pale skin. It is the deep, red blood that comes out of skin and leeks into clothing and soaks the ground. It is a gale of wind that knocks you down, then roars into your face with its freezing, ice-cold breath until your teeth chatter and your fingers and toes fall off. It is a rushing river that pushes you under and under and under until you are apart of it; battered and unable to escape. It is the yelling and screaming of a monster, working your way into your heart and tearing you apart.
Hannah Campbell's picture

Fallen Tree

In the jungle-like woods behind my best friend's house, there used to be an enormous, partially-fallen tree. Partially, because it still leaned at about an angle of forty-five degrees from the ground. It was beautiful with its smooth, barkless surface and covered with fungi, sprouting plants and vines, and fallen leaves. We would go there and venture as far out on its limbs as we dared, and then we would settle back onto its trunk, our home base. Then maybe we would sit down and talk for a while, or play on the swing we had set up. It had to be at least four hundred years old--its downed trunk provided more than enough width for two people to run all over.
Hannah Campbell's picture

Interview: What It Was Like In The 1970's

Originally, this was an English Language Arts assignment last year for Shelburne Community School's Winton House Team's seventh graders. We were asked to find someone who had lived during the 1970's and interview them about what it was like growing up then, so I found an aunt of mine. However, I found this assignment so interesting that I kept asking more and more questions, so this is the end product of that (the first question in each paragraph is the one we were supposed to ask, the other ones were mine additionally). It's not often that we get to here a truthful account of different time periods, as most of the time books and movies portray a different version of day-to-day life. Please take note, though, that this interview contains heavy topics in which some of the younger readers might not be ready for.  

The Interviewer: Hannah Frasure
The Interviewee: Francis Wagner, born in 1950 

poem 0 comments challenge: Six
Hannah Campbell's picture

Six Word Poem - Fingernails

essay 0 comments challenge: General
Hannah Campbell's picture

Leaving Teachers

I have just left a school that I have known for a long time. I am leaving many things: the familiar--the long hallways I'd walk down to get around, the annoying Skillz 4 Life class we'd have weekly (which quite frankly taught me nothing that I didn't already know) the immature kids at the back of the school bus, the huge cafeteria and all of its shrieking and its disgusting substances titled "Green Eggs and Ham" for Dr. Seuss's birthday. Yeah. I'm gonna miss all that, unfortunately. I'll also miss my friends (which is a given), but I can keep in contact with them so it won't be that bad. But most of all I'm especially going to miss my teachers. No one gives their teachers enough credit. We say we're grateful, but are we really? For all they've done for us: teaching us, putting up with us, watching over us, and all they end up getting is a card at the end of the year and "I'm outta here!!"? Is that legitimately showing we're grateful to them? Without them we'd be no where.
Hannah Campbell's picture

Oatmeal (A Snowgirl)

Oatmeal.

That was the name of my very first snowman, or in this case, snowgirl.

At the time, I was about three and a half years old, soon to turn four, and new to Vermont from Virginia. And while most would say there would be a temperature-shock with the freezing days and night, and not to mention snow, it felt natural to me. Not actually different. Winter was somehow an old friend of mine.  Actually, one of the most soothing things to me is to be walking completely alone under streetlamps knee-deep in snow and complete quiet. So full of soothing calm and a strange sense of respect. Or, when the wind is howling and I'm a mass of winter clothing: I bury myself in a snowmound, huddled up in a little hole, and listen to the wind's voice as I look at snow coming down in a furious frenzy.  

But anyways, this is about Oatmeal. So back to the story.
poem 0 comments challenge: Forest15
Hannah Campbell's picture

Wild and Rowdy Forestwood

Wild and rowdy forestwood;
your visions untold, their snarling creatures 
with such malicious cries
and piercing eyes.
You’re interior porous of darkness

and lies, and sharp teeth gleaming.
There’s a bright, wide bowl
gleaming cold-white up high.
The frozen days are reaching nigh,
where blazing flashes

pass by of gold and maroon,
but they have long since met this ground
and the dullness of starken white and brown
fulfills this wooden town.
Barren and desolate describe not quite, though. 

A crown of green once donned this fair place;
So lest we forget our childrens' infinate emerald songs
of passionate serenades of glorious birds trilling,
frolicking mice and squirrels’ acorn-shelling,
or the quiet perseverence of a single sprout

an upswing of patience and endurance
during the long winter’s reign,
the winter will be forever in us;