joseph.deffner's picture

A Quiet Winter Day

The snow crunches softly beneath my boots as I trudge up the hill. Small delicate snowflakes land on my fuzzy hat. I tilt my head back to catch them in my mouth. Out of the corner of my eye, a male cardinal dashes from tree to tree, his red feathers bright against the white snow. When I get to the top of the hill, I pause to look around at the snow covered trees, and listen to how peaceful it is. Dropping my sled on the wet snow, I climb on and slide down the hill, going down easily on top of the smooth and icy snow. The cool wind blowing in my face, smiling to myself. Winter makes me feel serene and content.
joseph.deffner's picture

Invention: Stay Away Fiends!

We are all aware that the COVID-19 pandemic is forcing citizens around the globe to remain at a recommended CDC-approved, six-foot safe distance from each other.

Well, how about this?  A “social distancing” app on your phone that alerts the user when they are less than six feet from an impending vector! The alarm rings to a sweet tune of the user’s choice or a classic and dreadful alarm clock sound -- either way it will alert the user to STAY AWAY from any potential threats.

It would be easy access, free on the app store for iOS and Android. You can easily buy new ringtones through in-app purchases. In-app purchases work to make your life easier by allowing you to buy a new ringtone without the need to leave the Stay Away Fiends App! When the user buys a new ringtone it will let people know that he or she is a VIP/Premium member of “Stay Away Fiends!”

- By Ulysses Junker-Boyce

joseph.deffner's picture

COVID-19

I sit here at home,
Bored out of my mind,
All alone with nothing to do.
I have nothing to watch.
It's all been cancelled.
Even my school.
It's all online now.

People are being fools.
They're buying toilet paper 
And stocking up on soup.
Don't ask me why.

The world isn't ending.
And neither are you.

So don't get all worried.
Just stay at home,
Bored out of your mind
With nothing to do.
That should do the trick.

And I promise as much as I can
That you should not get sick 
If you stay at home,
Bored out of your mind
All alone with nothing to do ...

- By Kaya

joseph.deffner's picture

Panther Carnival

It was a cold and windy day at TA (Thetford Academy). The wind was blowing so hard that it made this weird whistling sound like a tea kettle making some tea. The wind never stopped. It let up sometimes and you didn't hear that whistling all the time, but the wind was always heavy like a bag of bricks on you. It got to be 2:55-time for school to get out-and the bell never rang but sometimes it’s a little late. So we waited and waited for the sound of freedom, but it never came. My last class of the day is in the library with Mr. Black and Kate, Kate said ” Go ahead and go. The bell should have rung by now.” I opened the door with excitement to go home, but all of a sudden the door slammed back. We all backed up slowly, unsure of what had just happened and then Kate said “You can go.”
joseph.deffner's picture

Indigenous Language Revitalization (And Why It Should Matter Now More Than Ever)

Indigenous languages have been on the verge of extinction for decades. Through efforts from the government, they have become almost obsolete in modern society. But thanks to resistance and the will to continue tradition, Native people have kept their languages alive against all odds.

Though the percentages of fluent speakers are low in many cases, the number of immersion schools, like Waadookodaading immersion school in Wisconsin, for instance, and also classes being taught to young people around the country, seem to be bringing about a new generation of speakers.

So to any Native person reading this, try and be part of the new wave of speakers. Don’t take the easy route and give up on your language. If you have the means, go out and learn. I can’t say it will be easy, but it will be worth it. The ability to speak your Native language is the ability to see the world as your ancestors did.
poem 1 comment challenge: Reach
joseph.deffner's picture

If only

If only I could reach a little farther
And work a little harder

If I could find bravery
They wouldn’t worry about me

If I could be wise
I wouldn’t cry at all the goodbyes

If I could trust
My heart would burst into fairy dust

If I could get hurt and get back up
I would be as bright as a buttercup
joseph.deffner's picture

All About Me

joseph.deffner's picture

15

poem 1 comment challenge: Tomorrow
joseph.deffner's picture

Tomorrow

Tomorrow I hope my mind won’t stray way and find a place to trap my thoughts.

Tomorrow I hope I will have fun–find joy and excitement.

Tomorrow I hope I can find time to relax, to let my soul run wild.

Tomorrow I hope my dog will bring me comfort and will curl up by my side.

Tomorrow I hope I will find time to read, to send myself to the world of books.

Tomorrow I hope to write, to let my hands chose what to say.

Tomorrow I hope to see my friends, to let their voices flow through my mind.

Tomorrow I hope to play basketball, to let my feet carry my in the patterns they find so familiar. 

Tomorrow I hope to draw, to let my hands show my eyes what to see.

Tomorrow I hope to sing, to let my voice travel the world through music.

Tomorrow I hope to be present in the world to be seen and heard.