Hildene Essay Contest

Every year, Hildene, The Lincoln Family Home in Manchester, VT, runs the Lincoln Essay Competition for 8th graders throughout Vermont.  

First place winners receive $1000, second place $750, third place $500, and honorable mentions $250.

The deadline for submissions is Lincoln’s birthday, February 12, 2018. This year’s topic:

This year's essay topic:
Describe a current or recent event in which the actions of the participant(s) may be viewed as patriotic by some and as unpatriotic by others.  Discuss the differing points of view.  What is your position and why?

Complete application packets (including guidelines and tips) can be downloaded: http://www.hildene.org/schools.html.

Contact: Stephanie at [email protected]

Writing on the Roof #1: Photos of the day

Writing on the Roof got off to a fabulous start Jan. 19 with the first in the series -- The 'I' in Memoryscape! Thanks Mindy Wong for leading this inspiring workshop, and thanks all who joined us to write on a wintry Saturday morning, just moments before the whopper snow storm hit! The next workshop in the series is The Killer College Essay on the evening of Tuesday, Feb. 12 on the roof of the Karma Bird House, 47 Maple Street. Sign up!

VT Writes Day is Feb. 1

Tomorrow!

Invasives-Challenge

THE CHALLENGE:

1. Write a persuasive essay urging people to take action against the invasion of the Emerald Ash Borer. Present a fact-based argument. You might include why this matters, what can be done to stop it, and why an urgent response is needed.
OR
2. In poetry or prose, tell the story of an ash tree that is under siege. You might stretch back to its history and its important role for the Abenaki people. You could tell a story of empowerment, a tree that rebels and fights back. Or perhaps you have a special relationship with that tree. What happens? Let your creativity guide you!

VT Writes Day 2019

A New Voice ... A New Year

We are so excited to launch this beautiful new version of The Voice! 

This digital magazine highlights some of the best writing and art we've seen recently at Young Writers Project. And we'll have a new issue for you every month through the school year. We're thrilled to bring the magazine in-house to youngwritersproject.org, with this new look, after publishing on an external platform since September 2014.

If you have thoughts on the magazine - suggestions, improvements, anything at all, we'd love to hear from you! And if you want to comment on the writers' work, just click on the little speech bubble at the end of each piece and your comment will magically appear on their blog on youngwritersproject.org

Governor's Institutes

The Governor's Institutes of Vermont has two upcoming Winter Weekend institutes for high school students at Goddard College: Writing & Film: Backpack Journalism, February 8th-10th, and Songwriting Boot Camp, February 22nd-24th. Application deadline: Jan. 15. Tuition is based on a sliding scale and can be as low as $10. For a full list of topics and descriptions, or to begin the application process, go to www.giv.org/winterweekend/.