Climate News

[Credit: Luis Tato/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images]
The world’s land and water resources are being exploited at “unprecedented rates,” a new United Nations report warns... Read The New York Times report here. YWP's Hazel Civalier and Sophie Dauerman will be leading a climate change workshop as part of Voices for Change on Thursday, Sept. 19 at Burlington City Arts, 135 Church St., Burlington! More details coming soon ... Don't miss this!

Passing of a legend

PHOTOGRAPHY

• Photojournalism captures the people, buildings, gathering places, natural surroundings and overall character of a community.

• Great photos generally have a spontaneous, authentic quality, capturing a moment in time — a human expression, the play of light, a fleeting dynamic. Something about them is eye-catching.

• We encourage you to think in terms of a "photo essay" – multiple images drawing on the same subject or with a connecting theme. For the Community Journalism Project, we are especially excited to see images that capture your own community.

• For the purposes of this project, please avoid photos taken inside schools or other buildings, or on private property. They cannot be considered, due to privacy concerns. If taking photos of people, remember to get their permission (and get their names with correct spelling if you're going to use them in a photo essay.)

Express appreciation

HOME
By Bekkah Lambert, Winooski

Because I am graduating this year it finally hit me that I'd have to leave and I had a crisis about it, so I wrote this piece.

I used to be embarrassed to say that I am from Winooski. I would lie, hide, do whatever I could to disguise it and point out every flaw I could to try to distance myself if I were ever found out. 

Now, as we are approaching these last few months of high school, where soon I will actually have to leave, I don’t want to. It has recently dawned on me how much this school and community has had an impact on who I am and who I will become once my tassel goes right to left and I exit these doors once and for all.

Create empathy

WE ARE THE IMMIGRANTS
By Narges Anzali, Weybridge

All these politicians say immigrant. 
immigrant 
immigrant 
immigrant
in all these different ways. 

But they don't know what it's really like. 

Being an immigrant is
looking around you
in concerts, plays, graduations and seeing 
grandparents
uncles 
aunts 
cousins
and knowing that it will never be that way
for you. 

Being an immigrant is being sick to your stomach
at airports 
at the border
because you know that there 
will always be a problem with where
you're from.

Being an immigrant is being afraid of 
losing your
language
family 
culture
because there aren't that many people around you
that speak the same language, 
feel the same way. 

Write from personal experience

BETRAYAL
By Marina Sprague, Chelsea

An issue that matters to me? That's easy. I don't like the closing of small schools (school consolidation). I don't think the state should have the right to close a school, especially one that has  been around for so long, to save money (which it didn't). I don't want to hear all the 'it will give students school choice' or 'students will get better options/educations in bigger schools'. We were doing just fine. Our town is a small community. What makes you think we want a bigger school? We are used to small and we like it. I don't like that the town had the option to close my high school. WHY DON'T YOU ASK THE KIDS THAT ACTUALLY GO THERE? I want everyone to know my story on this. 

COMMENTARY

• Commentary is really anything that you want to say about an issue, or about something that is going on in your community, or an idea you have about how to make things better.

• Commentary is most effective when the writer has an open mind and is an independent thinker -- and assumes the same of the reader.

• Commentary at its best aims to get around rigid ways of thinking and partisan barriers by exploring the human dimensions of an issue. It is more about persuasion and provoking thought than hammering home a point. It is not the same as a rant, although we enjoy reading those, too.

• Commentary does not have to take a simple position that is either black or white — many situations are complex and gray, and the commentary can reflect that.

GUIDELINES

• Generally, journalism is non-fiction prose rather than poetry, although you'll always find exceptions to the rule. In fact, you'll see many examples of poetry as hard-hitting commentary on youngwritersproject.org, such as the poem, I Wonder, about gun violence. Feel free to choose whatever genre works best for you in conveying your message.

Written pieces do not need to be long, but they should be more than a few words. The "sweet spot" is probably somewhere between four and 10 paragraphs, if you're writing prose, so that the piece has some structure and moves from its beginning through the middle to the end.

Personal experiences are a great source of inspiration and storytelling. When you link these personal experiences to a larger issue you can create a powerful connection that touches the reader.

CJP Logos

Welcome to the Community Journalism Project!