CJP Logos

Welcome to the Community Journalism Project!

ABOUT THE PROJECT

The Community Journalism Project offers the space, inspiration, and support for you, young writers and artists, to speak out on the issues that matter to you.

Since launching in 2006, Young Writers Project has been a creative space that invites artistic expression of all kinds. This year, YWP introduces a new stream of activity through journalism, a reflection of the increasing concerns you have been expressing about the darkening tenor of our times and your desire to do something about it. The commentary on current events that we see on youngwritersproject.org is, unmistakably, the voice of a new generation, calling for change. We hear that call and want to help answer it.
Jul 31

Sail & Write

Jul 30

She leads by example

Jul 24

John Lewis comes to VT and more ...

Tickets are free and available starting Friday, Aug. 2 to hear Civil Rights Leader and Congressman John Lewis at the Flynn Center in Burlington this fall. Lewis and and co-author Andrew Aydin will be at the Flynn on Monday, Oct. 7 at 7 pm to discuss their graphic novels, The March Trilogy, about Lewis’ memories of the civil rights movement. Find out more here. AND at Rutland's Phoenix Books, Friday, Aug. 2, 6.30 p.m., Poets Reading the News: Celebrating the Vital Role of Poetry in Responding to World Events: A poetry reading and discussion with poets Elle Aviv Newton, Caitlin Gildrien, and Yvonne DaleyMore info here.
Jul 21

Weekly Writing Challenges 2019-20

These weekly challenges are created by YWP's young writers, summer interns, and staff to inspire you to write – and get published! Two new challenges are scheduled each week with a Friday deadline for publication with our Vermont media partners, including 10 newspapers & VtDigger.org, as well as in our monthly digital magazine, The Voice, and our annual anthology. Listen, also, to VPR for YWP announcements. ANYONE from ANYWHERE can respond to these challenges. Have fun! (See the PDF version of the weekly challenges at end of list; click on photos above to download.)

GeneralYour best writing in any genre and/or photos. Due anytime, all year!

WEEK 1
Jul 05

Today's Pick