​An Appreciation Speech to Candy

By Michael Fernandez

I just want to take a moment to give a shout-out to candy because none of this would have been possible without it.  Candy has been there for me in the good times and the bad times, and also in all the times in between. Special mention goes to gummy bears, sour gummies, jelly beans, Nutella, cookies, and s’mores. Ice cream for being there in my sad moments, popsicles for being there to share the happy ones.

We never listened to the haters like broccoli who said we couldn’t make it. I want to thank my organs for somehow supporting my candy diet. You’ve never let me down. We’re in this together. I can’t believe this all started off as a small dream of just eating a candy bar when it grew into so much more – a world full of ice cream sundaes, fudge, cakes, and puddings. You all mean the world to me. Thank you for being there whenever I need you!

Writers Please Read!

Hello writers!
As many of you know, our website was compromised last weekend when the server that houses the site had a problem. As a result, we had to remove all material posted between 4/17 and 4/21 for a few tech-y reasons we need not get into.
Fear not - we did not lose the material and we've reposted it. (You should see your work reposted in your personal blogs now.)
HOWEVER - despite not losing the writing, we have lost much of its corresponding data. This includes:

SoundCheck rocked!

Randolph Student's Account of D.C. March

By Natalie Strand, Randolph Union High School sophomore

On Friday, March 23, I boarded the Amtrak in Randolph with 11 of my peers and three teachers, not knowing what to expect of the March of Our Lives in Washington DC. I’ve been to protests before, small ones in Montpelier and big city ones in Boston, but never had I marched on Washington before.

Coverage of The March: Washington, around U.S., Montpelier; NYTimes, VTDigger and others

Audio: Parkland students visit Thurgood Marshall High School where gun violence is constant. NPR-All Things Considered

Emma Gonzalez holds on for powerful, extended period of silence.

Burlington Free Press in Montpelier

WCAX

Teen Voices at the Flynn Center

Voices for Change

Ongoing: What Can You Do? Write, of course. A challenge set up for the rising activism by high school students against the gun violence happening in schools. What's your take?
March 14: Enough: National School Walkout: Across the U.S., a walkout for 17 minutes at 10 a.m. to honor the 17 lives lost in the Parkland, Fla., school shooting and to demand action on gun violence. 
March 24: March For Our Lives will march in Washington DC -- and in communities across the US -- to end gun violence and mass shootings in schools. Are you marching?
April 20: Change.org is organizing a national high school student walkout against gun violence on the 19th anniversary of the Columbine shooting.

I am the one with a dream ...

I am the one who loves the outdoors, country music, four-wheeling, hunting, and singing. One of my dreams is to meet Kane Brown in person so I have one memory I will never forget in life.

Also my biggest dream is to stop hate and racism. I wanna be someone who goes to schools and talks to kids and teens about life and that even though there's hate I wanna tell them it will get better. I wanna be someone a little kid or teen looks back at in the future and says "She's the reason I pushed through this."

I just want to inspire people and kids in this world. I want to make the world a better place where people feel loved for being themselves. I want them to say 'I am beautiful in every way possible.'

Also lastly, another dream of mine is to be a singer. I want to go on stage with a professional singer so I can show my talent to the world. I have always wanted to join Americas Got Talent. I am the one who has a dream. -anonomous"

We have winners!

Thank you to everyone who participated in the second annual 12 Days of Commenting. From Dec. 24-Jan. 4, your comments made the holidays happy and bright! 

OUR WINNERS ARE:
First place: Hazel.C.!!
Runner up: Anna P.!!

Honorable mention goes to: nean_bean, jbird18, H20.hollym, Nightheart, Flowerdragon and Love to write.

Thank you all for taking that extra, generous step to connect with other writers, to offer support and encouragement, to notice and listen! Please keep the positive energy flowing, and leave a thoughtful comment today! Bring love to those who haven't received any comments yet. (You can find them by hovering your mouse over READ > RECENT and click RECENT-TABLE.)