Write with Reuben and Alex! Nov. 18

Climate Change Contest: Fall 2021

Braiding Sweetgrass Review

Review excerpted from charvermont's Summer 2021 Book List

Braiding Sweetgrass by Robin Wall Kimmerer (Nonfiction)
Read Braiding Sweetgrass and let your world be turned upside down. Kimmerer, who is both a scientist and a poet, combines her Native American heritage with modern-day science to write mesmerizing prose about the wonders and joys of the natural world. Though her book is fitting to read during any season, much of it praises the plants that surround us during the hottest months of the year. ... 

Also ... read charvermont's Autumn Reads reviews here

YWP pages in Rutland Herald and Times Argus 2021-22

Watch National Book Awards: VT writer named finalist

NATIONAL BOOK AWARDS: Suggested author to watch: Kekla Magoon. Magoon, of Montpelier, VT, is one of five finalists for the 2021 National Book Award for Young People’s Literature for her forthcoming nonfiction book "Revolution in Our Time: The Black Panther Party's Promise to the People." Magoon, who teaches at the Vermont College of Fine Arts, published her first novel in 2009, "The Rock and the River," about the Black Panther Party and the Civil Rights Movement. Winners will be announced at the 72nd National Book Awards Ceremony on Nov. 17.

CELEBRATE ANTHOLOGY 12!

WELCOME TO OUR SPECIAL ANTHOLOGY 12 PODCAST!

CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE WHO IS PUBLISHED IN THIS BOOK!

Join Iris Robert (eyesofIris on YWP and host of YWP's Line Break) and six of the writers, artists, and photographers who are published in Anthology 12 for this special celebration podcast! Click the button above ... and enjoy!

Audio download:
A12- FINAL DRAFT!.mp3

YWP's Community Leaders

Community Leaders for 2021-22! You are the heart and soul of Young Writers Project! Thanks for all you do for YWP – your creative ideas and energy, the thought and care you put into your own work, and the encouragement and positive reinforcement you give to others on the site.

This is a rolling list, and we always welcome NEW Community Leaders – who are interested in helping the YWP community by being active on the site, mentoring other writers and artists, organizing and/or leading an online workshop, suggesting new writing and visual art challenges, hosting an online book discussion or open mic, etc. To join, email Susan Reid, YWP executive director, at [email protected] or phone (802) 324-9538. And if we have missed anyone who should be included on this list, please let us know!

Photo Workshop: Water with Laurenm

[Photos by laurenm, YWP]
THURSDAY, OCT. 14, 6:30 PM: YWP's laurenm (see her photos above) will take you through a series of water photo shoots ranging in difficulty from easy to challenging with household materials. This fun workshop will give you the tools to create your own water photos with new ideas on settings, composition, lighting, etc.! Whether you're a novice or a pro, join laurenm on THURSDAY, OCT. 14 , 6:30-8 PM Eastern time! It's free. Must have a YWP account to participate. SIGN UP HERE for your Zoom invitation!

sept art