Be inspired! Read The Voice

#DigiWriMo Winners! ABCD Winner Announced!

Why we think #digiwrimo is cool

We think National Novel Writing Month is cool (but #digiwrimo is cooler). The fact that the #NaNoWriMo folks have mobilized thousands of people to write thousands of words each day on a novel they haven't yet thought of is absolutely amazing. And for youths, it's great practice.

But, truth be known, we think #digiwrimo has more potential.  What is it? Same idea: Write every day (or as many as you can in the month of November and write about anything at any length. HERE IS THE LINK TO THE DIGIWRIMO PROJECT. 

St. Johnsbury Town Forest

The St. Johnsbury town forest is a mixed northern hardwood forest.
In the low elevations there is  northern white cedar, black ash, and hemlock. In the upper elevations there is white pine and black cherry. There is also invasive species in the town forest such as European Buckthorn.
The St. Johnsbury forest consists of 110 acres of land. Before it was the St. Johnsbury town forest 72 acres of it was the Almshouse town farm.
In 1922 the St. Johnsbury Women's  Club planted white pines in the areas where it was no longer farmed.
Over the years 20,000 trees were planted.

ywp info challenge: First Line

Some famous first lines

Famous First Lines -- Words to draw you in to the story

Call me Ishmael
-- Herman Melville, Moby Dick (1851)

It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.
--  George Orwell, 1984

This is the saddest story I have ever heard.
— Ford Madox Ford, The Good Soldier (1915)

“There is no lake at Camp Green Lake.”
– Holes by Louis Sachar (1998)

It was a wrong number that started it, the telephone ringing three times in the dead of night, and the voice on the other end asking for someone he was not.
—  Paul Auster, City of Glass (1985)

A screaming comes across the sky. 
—Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow (1973)

He was an old man who fished alone in a skiff in the Gulf Stream and he had gone eighty-four days now without taking a fish.
 —  Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea (1952)

Hall of Fame

YWP's Hall of Fame is officially up and running! Looking for inspiration? Want something good to read? Wanna take a trip down memory lane? The Hall of Fame tag is an archive of some of the best pieces by Writers to Read through the years. It'll be regularly updated with new old pieces, selected for being daring, innovative, or just plain good. Hall of Fame is the anti writers block. Check it out at the tag below.
Hall of Fame

More Than Just a Charity Case

by Ava Kendrick

Ever since I was little, I've had the mental image of Africa as a crying little child, sitting naked in a dusty street, their stomach enlarged with hunger. As I've gotten older, a lion and a giraffe have been added into the background, and maybe another child or two. Up until just a few weeks ago, even though I knew that this wasn't all there was, this was Africa.

Storyboard

Check out the infographics of the seven main types of outlines (thanks to nownovel.com) and think about how you might use them.

If you’re here, it’s probably because you want to learn a thing or two about pre-writing. Pre-writing is sometimes referred to as “outlining,” “planning,” “storyboarding,” or any number of other names. All of those things fall under the broad category of pre-writing. Things you do before you create a real “draft.”

Everyone has a different style when it comes to their writing process. The one main thing that determines which method you ultimately choose, is whether or not it works. What we’re going to do, is take a look at a few different methods, with the help of our friends at nownovel.com, and then take a couple of them out for a test-drive.

Walk on by...

I am in high school. My stomach has been tied in a knot all morning and as I turn to head down the main hall I see that already there is a small crowd around the board and I feel my heart speed up, almost like it wants to climb up my throat and go screaming out the window because I know what they're looking at.
I saunter. I walk slow and disinterested like.
I know I'm not kidding anyone by walking this way, but somehow it makes me feel better. I stay in the middle of the corridor. Maybe I won't even glance at the board, I'll just walk on by, like I know, like I really know that this time my name will be on the list.
I stay casual. My heart is so loud I can't even hear. My stomach feels like it's going to wrestle me to the cold, stone tile floor and I can just see myself writhing in pain as all the others stand around and point and laugh. Loser. Loser.
Would they really do that? Is this how it happens at this school?
GEVALT!

Fear

Failure is not an option,
Pressure is piled high.
Expectations stand tall for me,
In the event I know I must fly.

But the high bar seems unreachable,
And the beam far off the ground.
As nerves posses my body,
I can barely make a sound.

I am afraid of failure,
Of the laughs, the jeers, and sneers.
I am scared of not meeting my goals,
And letting down my peers.

I am scared that I will slip,
And end up on my face.
Letting down my team and coach,
And maybe even sporting a brace.

It is time for the event to start,
And I am a total mess.
My hands are clammy, bound to slip,
Will I buckle under the stress?

But today I will take a leap,
As I finally conquer my fear.
I am no longer afraid of failure,
And the path ahead is clear.