Join us Saturday - Writing on the Roof

“When the mode of the music changes, the walls of the city shake,” Allen Ginsberg, quoting Plato, said of the Beat Poets. And check out this NYT story for inspiration! Join YWP and author Angela Palm for this fun, "shake the walls" workshop on The Beat Poets next Saturday, March 16, 10 am - 11:30 am at the Karma Bird House, on the roof, 47 Maple Street, Burlington! More info and sign up

Road Trips for Student Journalists

Climate Action!

New Yorker Poetry Editor comes to VT

College Essay -- Tips

(Photo credit: YWP Photo Library, photo by semacdonald, Sheldon, VT)

One of the most frightening things to write is the College Essay. How in the world can I write a compelling essay that will get me into college? A couple of things to keep in mind:
  • This is a part of your overall application. It's not the be-all and end-all; don't put a lot of pressure on yourself.
  • Be real -- don't make stuff up.
  • Within the essay, or perhaps even at the beginning , tell an anecdote, something that shows something about you -- your values, your growth, your humor, your personality.
  • Don't worry about it. Be you.
Hah, you say. Easy for you to say!

Congrats Rebecca Valley!

poem 0 comments challenge: Elves

Forest Fantasy

Fair creatures and fair desires,

Yet no believers and no admirers.

Those who enchant the oblivious eye,

Through wandering skies and regretful smiles.

Through itching feet and endless isles.  

Encircled by those that die,

Who meddle and peek, evasive and shy.  

Under mortal moon and breathing bowers.

Who push their backs against the grain,

And fool them all again and again.

Under Aberdeen evergreen,

They will never be seen.  

Those who dwell in secret towers,

Under a spell of unknown powers.

The hymn of bygone breaths,

The dawn of dim lit deaths.

Like sunlight wings that carry light,

Into eternity all through the night.  

All without a single sight.  

Like pale phantoms, never to pass.

A Surfeit of Riches

Month Two of the new, improved Voice -- and we are thrilled with the exceptional writing, photos and art you see in this issue! This is just a sample of the many high quality posts submitted on youngwritersproject.org recently. Wish we could have included everything we loved here. But there's always next month.
  • Kudos to LadyMidnight for her cover photo of winter waves on Lake Champlain. Beautiful.
  • Vermont Writes Day, YWP's annual day of writing on Feb. 1 -- what a blast! -- brought in hundreds of poems and stories from people across the state and beyond -- and we hope they discovered that writing is FUN and the YWP community is amazing!
  • This month, we were also delighted by the artwork of students at Danville School, submitted to YWP by their teacher Abigail Bartell, abartell. Thanks Ms Bartell! You'll see the students' drawings and digital art throughout this issue.