fiction 3 comments challenge: Club
22donam's picture

This guy asked me to join his club

"Mate, this guy just asked me yesterday if I wanted to join his club."

"Woah, what'd ya say?"

"Well obviously I asked him what it was about, you know?"

"Don't tell me it was some kinda cult or somethin' freaky like that."

"Geez no, he said it was a book club."

"Oh yeah? Sounds chill."

"And then I asked him if you could come, cause I thought you would love to go."

"Aww that's sweet."

"But then this jerk is like "No way your friend's got issues" 

"UM RUDE"

"I KNOW"

"WHERE IS HE I'M GONNA WHOOP HIS A**"

"DON'T EVEN WORRY MATE I SMACKED HIM ALL THE WAY TO KANSAS"

"Haha oml, thanks for that"

"No problem mate, anyone that's got beef with you has got beef with me"
22donam's picture

how are you

When people ask ¨how are you?¨
I always respond with ¨good and you?¨
Not because we've all been brainwashed into a society where we're all supposed to be good and fine,
but because I can't bring myself to tell the person I'm responding to I don't trust them enough to tell them how my day is actually going.
Sure I tell my friends and family how my days going,
but what am I supposed to say when my dad's sister's friend's cousin asks how my day is going?
Should I tell them that I had lucky charms for breakfast?
Or that I'm contemplating getting out of this place because I see myself getting stuck here?
Obviously I wouldn't, that would be crazy. 
I don't know my dad's sister's friend's cousin, so why would I share how my day is really going?
Why do people call it hiding your feelings when you tell someone you're doing good even when you're not, but only because you tripped on the stairs that morning.
22donam's picture

mon nom

My name,
Madeline.
I've never liked it when people use my full name.
It feels too big and powerful for someone like me, I just don't command respect the same way it does when it enters a room.
So I keep it a secret, and I pretend like it was never there, no so much out of spite for it but more to have something for myself.
It feels sort of special, when only my close friends and family know, kinda makes me feel a little mysterious.
Then when I meet someone new that I can trust, I share the secret with them too, making that someone a closer part of my life.
I think the word I'm looking for is exclusivity, "the practice of excluding or not admitting other things."
I like this word, it makes me feel like my name is more than words smushed together, it gives it a new purpose.
Though I don't know if I'll ever go by my full name, it's fun to imagine what it could do.
22donam's picture

mon nom

My name,
Madeline.
22donam's picture

mon nom

My name,
Madeline.
22donam's picture

community

If we could all live together, in one community, no matter what ethnicity or status we would all get the chance to be equals.
No judgment about the size of your home or whos neighborhood is the safest, we would be the same, living in one community.
Free to celebrate our differences without judgment because we are equals.
I think there's something nice about feeling like we are all in this community together, and having a mutual feeling of belonging, because after all if no one felt they belonged it wouldn't be much of a community.

22donam's picture

worlds and the passing off time

Things happen.
It's just a fact of nature, the simple passage of time causes things to happen.
Whether they be good or bad, there is no preventing change.
The change may hurt you, or scare you, maybe you love the change, but whatever happens, just know its alright.
It will all be alright. 
I have you, and you have me, and the earth is still spinning.
The stars will still rush past us at a million miles an hour, the seasons will shift their colors, and the birds will still sing.
And it may seem like your world is crashing down a million miles a minute, but give it time.
Take your time to see the remains of your world and realize its all alright because the earth is still here, it's still spinning, and I'm still by your side.
We will be alright.
22donam's picture

ABCs in the Library

¨Asshat.” Ben whipped his head around, ¨Who said that?¨ Coughing sounded from the back of the library, but no response. Dodging the bizarre looks by other library-goers from his outburst, Ben went back to reading his textbook. Ever so quietly he skimmed through the pages, looking for the page on intergalactic warfare. ¨Fuckin ninny nincompoop.¨ Grouchy, Ben stomped his foot and jolted out of his seat, ¨I CAN HEAR YOU!¨ Half of the library attendees snapped their heads up and glared at him as if he had kicked a puppy, the other half seemed not to care as much. It occurred to Ben that he was the only one who could hear the mysterious and malevolent sounds. Just then he heard it again, this time it sounded more like garbled giggling coming from the non-fiction section.
22donam's picture

wrestling with my heart

I have an issue.
I strive so hard for one goal
yet I fail, again and again,
my teammates congratulate me on my strenuous effort even though I lost.
They tell me that it was my best so it's good enough
but I know that I need to be better.
I can't allow myself to accept their words and to be satisfied never having achieved my goal.
Though I love their positivity, I can't let it convince me to stop pushing.
Instead, I use their words as fuel to keep reaching for victory.
I remember how I don't want to hear those words of commiseration but instead words of pride and elation.
The words echo in my head as my heart races and the adrenaline controls my body during a match, 
they get louder and louder as I get closer, tasting the win on my tongue but not getting a bite of it.
But when the day comes that I accomplish greatness, I will hear their praises,
22donam's picture

poem about poems

some times when I write

I try to work out of the box.

but it never seems to work out
even though it was a good thought.

maybe its the formatting
or the ideas I pour out.

and then when I get praise for a poem I didn't try too hard on
I wonder why the ones I put effort into don't succeed as well.

I'm not trying to complain.
I just want to know

why I get praise for a piece

that just appeared out of thin air.
It makes me feel as if I haven't tried when I write out of the blue.

even though
they convey emotions that are raw. 

but I don't experience any of those emotions.

maybe I'm doing something wrong.

for the time being I'll keep refining my poems.

because that's the first step to getting it right.