Emily Van Dyke's picture

This I believe

This I believe is true,
  this love of ours.

This I believe is real,
  the way our hearts fought for each other.

This i believe is lasting,
  your hand in mine.

This I believe is ​cherishable, 
  the first time I knew I loved you. 

This is why I believe I am better,
  your voice.

This is why believe I am happy,
  the love I feel when I am around you.

This is why I believe, you have made me new,
  the feeling in my brain

This I know is passion,
  how we talk to each other.

This I know is ment to be,
  Mrs. and Mrs.

This I know is love,
  it is written in our bones.

This is us.

Emily Van Dyke's picture

Winters breath

I feel her sigh to me in the morning,
as the trees reflect the bitter cold air.
I wait for the air to sting my face, 
and the tips of my fingers.
i reflect back,
to the days of the sun melting
to my now stinging face.
i beg for her to come back,
her hair is now falling from the trees,
her eyes of water, shifting to hard ice.
She tells me to wait, to hush my bitter.
she will be back,
but for now we must let
winters hair cover the trees,
let her grab your coat, allow 
her breath to make the air cold and new,
because that is what hot cocoas for.

Emily Van Dyke's picture

Unnoticed by you

Things not babied by your eyes praised by me, the smoothness of the lockers sliding against my fingernails making ticks as my fingers leave admiration, but to you silence of why the girl with the alerted eyes are finding such relief as the lockers get to shortened stop. Or when the unnoticed me is biting my sleeve, listening to the squeaks of my teeth leaving small teeth marks on my sleeve, I can examine with my fingers. Unnoticed by you, the way I roll down my window with the winter days punishing my pink nose, but I smile as it laces my eyelashes, but noticed by me everything. The way the lunchroom trays, the way i press it against my chest, like holding the cage that's within it, holding the animal like beasts of my fears. It's cold against the collar of my neck, feeling the divots of the outside of its canvas calming. Then i notice, that you may never...fully notice.  
Emily Van Dyke's picture

The tent on the sun

The tent on the sun

We watch, we watch the ripples in our hands turn to fire. Burning the roots of our hair, sculpting the honey in my eyes. As our bodies are changing i feel the texture of the world move, i feel it shift under the brains in my feet. My hands grip hers. The borders of the tent turned to the shades of her hair, soft and thin as snow. Her and the tent become brighter and brighter, the sun inches from our fingers pulling at our atoms turning everyone thing to one, one moment. The sun looking into our eyes, braiding our hair, mending our souls. The tent on the sun, the warmth of its shell sharing with anyone; here it is time to breathe.

Emily Van Dyke's picture

​The strength of her love

The strength of her love

As i wake up, i'm not cold.

The warmth of the blankets between me and her warm and hopeful.

This brings me back to the cold nights and the broken window.

The memories drowned out, and resurfaced as a happy place

with her.

She helped me forget but not just forget; tame.

The heat from her kept my heart alive

she kept it beating. if your home is where the heart is,

my homes with her,

the lungs in my body so weak,

but with her safety revived them with armor.

Emily Van Dyke's picture

You're 15

You're 15, scared at a family reunion,
mustering the courage to tell.
It's noon and your plan was to have already told
them what your lips have been dying to say.

Your grandmother and uncle question you on what you've
“learned” in school, but you zone out the moment you start to watch their lips.
Your grandmother steps closer to your white shirt,
jean pants, and pin.

She realigns her eyes to the picture, on the thin metal piece of jewelry
“...a rainbow...” you look into her eyes trying to pry out the words she's about to speak.
“Why a rainbow, does it mean anything?”

You look down as your chest concaves to pressure.

“No,”
you say as you feel your head plummet to what feels like past your knees.

Your heart - your lungs - your knees themselves, so weak.

You’re so mad, you want to tell them about your girlfriend
and how happy she makes you.
Emily Van Dyke's picture

Be my Juliet

Be my juliet; means never give me a rose,

let me with my lustering skin commit thousands to you.

Be my armor but never my helmet;

let me grasp learning, but watch me when i teach.

Be my once in a lifetime kind of love; Let the love surround our rendered hearts.

Be the Juliet without the death, without the family, without the knife.

Being MY Juliet, means to understand that i already had hid the knife, tainted the family, and shattered death.

I am not scared of what any Juliet might bring,

i relish in the thought of her smile; though i've never seen.

I can already feel how her lips pout and her smile glitz.

I can smell, the flowers she left on the floor as she paces the mouth of our wooden cabin home.

I sense her dark brown hair, and the years of hidden freckles under her round eyes.

Her warm hands intertwine with the weaves of my heart;
Emily Van Dyke's picture

Unnoticed by you

Unnoticed by you.
Things not babied by your eyes praised by me, the smoothness of the lockers sliding against my fingernails making ticks as my fingers leave admiration, but to you silence of why the girl with the alerted eyes are finding such relief as the lockers get to shortened stop. Or when the unnoticed me is biting my sleeve, listening to the squeaks of my teeth leaving small teeth marks on my sleeve, I can examine with my fingers. Unnoticed by you, the way I roll down my window with the winter days punishing my pink nose, but I smile as it laces my eyelashes, but noticed by me everything. The way the lunchroom trays feel, indented and weaves in plastic, like the clearness of my mind, Unnoticed by you..but you’ll see me soon.
Emily Van Dyke's picture

Brain Waves

I'm not going to lie, I'm scared. scared. I'm always the one to smell fear before the others taste. see no evil, speak  no evil, hear no evil. i am a child that has a shadow of pure energy. energy purified. i see with my lips. i see. i see, with my lips. i put my hands to the sky because I want to feel the morning love. clouds. coffee. cuddles. my brain is like a drain, it only sees one way. One way. on these days i put my blue dress on. pink. red. orange. as a light stands at my feet. spotlight, stop shinning you're scaring me. some say gold is the proudest metals. stone. gravel. and i understand because I feel bronzed of my silver.  My silver. the silver has remained in my hair. remain. remained. remains. I'm on one train. yellow bricks. that takes my mind off the world's  codes. 1 2 3. if I am strong why must I be reminded.  blood in my eyes but same as it is in yours. sssssssh. I'm finding the white rabbit but the smile gave me all the directions. N. E. S. W.
Jul 14
Emily Van Dyke's picture

Smiling at Strangers