powered by your voice
ZakaryCS's picture

All Out War

The rising dust, the sound of metal, wood, and skin clashing, slashing, and smashing. Clear except for the people, animals, and a few pillars. I see no reason at all that I should have to walk into a big open space just to get mauled by a bear or lion or get stabbed or slashed by a sword when I don't expect it. I see a sword and a shield lying on the ground directly in front of me. I think to myself, “Whoever this belonged to, didn't make it very far.” This felt like all out war was going on right in front of my eyes. I saw an arrow flying in my direction. I duck to avoid getting hit in the head but i wasn't quite fast enough to get completely clear of it so the arrow takes off a spot of my hair. It takes that happening for me to remember that long hair wasn't the best idea the last time I was here. I reach down and grab the sword. I contemplate whether I really need the shield or not and decide that, even though I don't think i’ll need the shield, i'm going to take it because it's better to be safe than sorry. I notice a pattern and an apparent alliance between different groups of people. The different alliances are wearing matching colors. They have 5 red men, 4 blue, 8 green and, 1 purple. I'm on my own. The purple wasn't at one time but now he is alone like me.
ZakaryCS's picture

Maple

I watched as my brother fell from the top branch of the tree. I couldn't stop it no matter how hard I tried. I screamed but it only sounded like the wind was howling. I started yelling at the people with the rakes below us to catch him before he hit the ground but they wouldn't help. He floated to the ground and the people raked him into a pile. I remember his cries of agony as the rake pushed him into the pile of our fellow leaves. From that moment on I knew that I had to get out of the tree to save my brother from being jumped on or thrown away, though, I knew I didn't have many ways to fight back. I was only a leaf after all. I snapped my stem and started screaming with excitement as I was falling through the branches towards the ground. I stick my arms out to try to glide but I remembered that I have a hard time moving my arms in certain ways. I hoped that when I hit the ground, completely unscathed, I would be able to immediately get up and run to the leaf pile to get my brother and start our first adventure in our short life beyond the tree. It didn't work like that. People weren't supposed to know about the fact that we can talk, feel, breathe, and walk so I couldn't just get up and walk to him. I'd have to go covertly.
in fiction 0 Comments challenge: General
ZakaryCS's picture

The Cat

Running, falling, running again is what has happened from the start of today. It’s them. They’re after me. I never thought they’d catch me but they did. In the end it’s all the same. They’re all the same. It’s just one person. He keeps tracking me down. Somehow. Who is helping him? There’s gotta be someone on the inside helping him. And I know who it is, well, knew who it was. That is, until my brain got wiped and I started running. Let me rewind and tell you as much as I can remember.
in fiction 2 Comments challenge: Door
ZakaryCS's picture

The New Door

“This is strange. This door wasn't here yesterday.” “The door” is a strange blue portal-like space in the wall ahead of me that doesn't exist to most people's eyes. Since I was young I've had a special kind of eyesight that allows me to see things beyond this world. It was strange and scary when I was younger. I could always see strange things like this portal that I'm assuming leads to another world or maybe just another dimension. Ill figure that out when and if I decide to step through. My world is full of a strange energy that allows my vision to work right. In some other worlds that I've travelled to and other dimensions, the atmosphere doesn't have this same energy in it so it can be harder or even impossible for me to see the portals. I've been through that kind of scenario before. It happened the first time I ever stepped through a portal. Now that I'm remembering this I don't feel the same urge to step through it. I'm going to anyways

in fiction 0 Comments challenge: Stars
ZakaryCS's picture

Lights

“I've realized in my old age I've grown tired and dim. It feels like all the lights in my mind are shutting down earlier every night. I don't know how much of this life I have left anymore. This could be my last night for all I know. You and I aren't so different you know.” “Yes, I know. We don't spend everyday as if it's our last. I stay up every night to talk to you and I rarely get anything in return anymore. Years and years of talking and expecting the one living star to return some proof and the proof that is sent back is just you telling me that you're dying. I thought you couldn't die.” “I can die I just have an extremely long lifespan. Longer than any human and longer than most planets.” This was the last conversation we ever had. This was God's way of saying his permanent goodbye and my way of telling him I didn't believe anymore. When we got done conversing that time I noticed that the star he had inhabited was almost too dim to see and it was getting darker. I didn't mind though. When I noticed that his brightness had completely disappeared, I turned around and walked home, only to never rise the next morning.