rileyj1's picture

The loose brick

I walk alone with the sun in my eyes and a drop of sweat rolling down my cheek. I look to my right at the old factory wall. They reddish brown bricks slowly fading to grey. I look up wale still walking to see hundreds of bricks all different towering up to the rusty third story balcony. I trip over a small stump that was cut down to make a path. I get up with a small scratch and look about a few feet in front of me to see a brick much older then the others with weak plaster holding it in place. I walk over to it and try to grip onto it. I can't get a good hold but for some reason I want to get it out. I reach down and pick up a rock a little bit bigger than my palm. I chip at the plaster until I can slip my fingers in and pull out the brick. A small piece of paper drifts down from the now empty space.  It reads 

To whoever is reading this is the future,

The date is 1909

My town has just imprisoned imprisoned me for murder
rileyj1's picture

goodnight #vtwrites18

My eyes open to a sea of darkness. Sweat covers my body and my mind is racing about how to determine if that nightmare really happened. I look around as my eyes start to adjust to the dark. I turn over to get my phone and press my thumb against the home button. A wave of light burns my eyes and I quickly turn down the brightness. 12:46 am the clock reads. I look away and get out of bed to quench my major thirst. I fill up the glass I usually use to rinse out my mouth after I clean my teeth and braces. I quickly gulp down the glass. I hear my phone start to ring and groan and start to walk back towards my room. I realize that it was night and quickly run to get the phone before it disturbs my whole family. I press the button and press the phone against my ear. I look around my room and glance out the window. Something moves but I couldn't figure out what it was. I look back to the hallway and see another shadow disappear into the black abyss. A soft voice whispers from the phone.
rileyj1's picture

Winter story

My eyes open slowly and I am warm sitting next to the fireplace wrapped up in the blanket made of wool. I look outside and a world of white surrounds me. I run over to get my boots, gloves, hat, jacket, snow pants, and hand warmers. By the time I am ready I had really worked up a sweat. I burst outside feeling a slap of cool air hit me. I hear the pitter-patter of soft delicate snowflakes landing on my jacket, I look at the cold figure of ice forming a design on my coat among millions of other snowflakes. I gaze over to the pine trees with white blankets of snow lying still on the hundreds of tiny green needles. I peer up at our house, the brown stained logs with hints of white making our lovely cabin. The brick chimney sending short puffs of hot smoke into the atmosphere. I lye down in the soft pillows of white feeling like a bed fit for a king.
rileyj1's picture

Winter story

rileyj1's picture

I wonder

rileyj1's picture

Winter story

rileyj1's picture

Alter-ego

Hello, my name is Jack. I am 19 years old and being the president's son I can basically go to any college I want. I have chosen to go to Stanford. Tomorrow I will start my first day of classes. I have played football my whole life. I hope to play football there. It was great living in the whitehouse but I want to meet new people and have the college experience that everyone should have. It was cool being “famous” but sometimes I just wish to be normal. To have good friends that like me for who I am, not to say “I am friends with the president’s son.” Popularity can be good, and bad. But everything I experience living the life I am, I try to take the good rout, Look at the better times. I like to roll over the not so greats when I can. People always stop me on the streets asking “Are you really him?” I always want to answer all the questions people ask me. I just remember one time a few years before the new president was elected, I went to see a concert.
rileyj1's picture

Winter tale

Cold winter air rushing in through the window. I close it and gaze outside. A snow covered roof. Like a white blanket laying over the land. I put on my jacket and gloves and rush outside. It was a dim grey outside and the sun was just barely shining. I look up at the clouds and see all the tiny white snowflakes falling from the sky, they moved so perfectly as if they were dancers. I look at my pine tree. The green needles covered in a light layer of snow. I take off my glove, and a snowflake lands on my palm. It melts away fast, leaving a tiny droplet on my hand. The ground is slippery and icy. There was only one tire track in the road. It was snow covered it was probably from about an hour before. The wind, it blows down my back chilling my spine.  Above a white dove flies over. I watch it soar. It lands on a tree and disappears. There is a distant sound of a dog barking, and a little paw trail in the snow. I lie down in the snow. It is cold on my body.