Jul 31

On The Subject of Ill Luck

I was always superstitious.
Some would say I’m just suspicious,
I knew better than to cry,
“Superstitions are a lie!”
Then one day my neighbor said,
“All this stuff’s just in your head.
People fear silly signs,
Fantasies of their minds.”
I thought about this idea.
Now, what was I to fear?
If a black cat crossed the road,
Would I turn into a toad?
So I squared my shoulders boldly,
Looking in the mirror coldly
I ventured out for a view
Of the whole world anew.
The sun was warm, the birds were singing,
And in the distance I heard ringing.
I pranced onto the road, gleeful,
When something made me stop all fearful.
A shaggy horse walked up the street,
Chewing on a sheaf of wheat.
I ogled at the tired beast,
Who utterly enjoyed a feast.
What gave me such a dreadful fright?
The startling fact- the horse was white.
I crossed my fingers, clicked my toes,
Jul 02

The World Within

I have always worn glasses. Whenever I took them off, the world would double, triple, quadruple; everything would blur and jump around, and I would hastily cram my “second sight” back on. Therefore, as soon as I woke up, I would ram my glasses up my nose before even opening my eyes.

One perfectly normal morning, I woke up to the persistent crowing of Mr. Whitney, the king of our left-hand neighbor’s chicken flock. The steady hum of the kitchen toaster sent out an invitation to breakfast. To the right, a lawnmower was already making progress around a yard, spilling sweet grass clippings over the cropped lawn.

My fingers fumbled the bedside table for my glasses. Nothing. I continued to search, sliding my hand over the bed, lamp stand, and even the Bonsai pot. Guessing they had rolled off the table, I shook myself awake and opened my eyes.

"Can I have a Question?"

I wonder why so many Americans make grammatical mistakes in spoken and written English. Some of improper grammar became an acceptable and overwhelmingly popular, such as the notorious short cuts: “4 sale”, or “I need 2 do it”.

My introduction with improper grammar came with my tennis instructor, who used to say “don’t hit no balls.” I had a hard time with it, though later I realised that it is a surprisingly common mistake to use double negatives. I don’t know why people after the graduation of a high school, “ gotta do” those “clumstrocities”. I also wonder where all these “wouldya's” came from? So I made a brief research.

Un Par De

Everyone in my family possess a superpower.

No, no, we aren’t the Incredibles, we are just the most normal family, but everyone had a little special something that they chip in for good use.

For example, my aunt specialized in locating items tossed and lost in the weirdest places, my Dad had a great intuition: he could win any Go Fish! match, and my Mom could fall asleep particularly anywhere, (especially in the middle of the most interesting part of a book).

Even our family pet, Lappa, had a handy quirk: think about food, he’d run up to you, think about shutting him in the entryway for a fitness stay and he'll take off as fast as possible, away from the ill thinking evildoer.

My brother, under inspiration, can figure out your thoughts, annoying anyone.

What about me? Sorry, I am the outlier. And of course, I am the most useless and most boring geek in the family, without any kind of real superpowers.

Winter Need No Glasses Aliens

The blizzard was raving all night. Snow fell from the sky as from a gigantic thrower. The morning was brisk and crisp, the sky cloudy. I dragged a blue plastic sled with two pairs of skis behind me, my feet sinking deep into the fluffy snow. My brother was happily plowing through the huge drifts, creating tunnels. The wind was blowing up high, rapidly changing the cloud’s formations, occasionally revealing glimpses of the cerulean blue sky.
We were going sledding and skiing at a local hill, used by all neighborhood kids in the winter for the exactly same purpose, in the summer for rolling down in dizzying circles log-style on its grassy slopes.

Winter Need-No-Glasses Aliens

The Riddle

“Homework for today: Research ancient Egyptian deities, read the book about the Ogdoad, explain the meaning of it. I slammed my planner shut and plopped onto the couch. Today was a very tiring day, and the homework hung over my head as the sword of Damocles: what was the point, anyway, of studying non existent gods. But the challenge was there, and it was due: tomorrow. I didn't know where to start.

Hesitantly I took the “history of religions” book, opened up, and read. It was not as bad as I thought. Actually, the mystical cults, rites, and shrines were so fascinating that I began to dream up fantasies of visiting Egypt. As I was ready to climb on the great sphinx, my head nodded. With a huge effort I remembered the deadline for the homework and opened my eyes.

The room was just the same, but somewhat different.

Lunar Flowers

During the last three nights the full moon was so bright I could even read under the light. This piece, drawn on the iPad app Tauyasui Sketches (the simple version), was inspired by these beautiful nights. 
P.S. If the quality is a bit blurry, it's because the image was uploaded straight from the iPad. 

Thoughts on Peace

There is so much rhetorics regarding peace. Yes, we all want peace: we constantly make amends with family members, friends, ourselves, but then we violate our promises. Countries start wars with other countries and then make peace, until a new conflict.

Peace, as defined by the dictionary, is “the state when political leaders are not in a state of conflict.” This is a common perception of the word. However, other cultures use the term very differently: for example,

Islam uses peace as the name of it’s religion, literally deriving from the term salaam (Salaam- Islam) Peace is achieved by following the teachings of these Quoran and believing in Allah.

Hinduism describes peace as the harmony between everything and everyone on Earth and in the Heaven, Buddhism states that inner peace is the state when one is free of all cravings and ill doings.

What is peace? And can it be established once and forever?

Merrily Down The Stream

Thud!” a bundle of firewood dropped by the stove and woke me up.

The morning was brisk. When the tingling warmth of the burning wood filled the air, I dared to look at the morning scene.
Sunbeams filtered through the pines. The air smelled of goldenrod. A maple was spewing forth leaves: scarlet, golden, burgundy…

“When the dew is on the grass rain will never come to pass!” I sang, skipping to dress for a day long trip on the Connecticut River.
The morning fog cleared, the sun was blasting down, heating my kayak. My sweaty palms were clutching the paddle: “....merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is just a dream.”

A golden leaf was rocking on back and forth on the water, gently depressing the surface.

I leaned to grab it, and “slurrrrrrppp!” the kayak turned over. Coldness squeezed my head, crept up my body, numbed my toes, reached my ankles, chilled my knees…..