fiction 2 comments challenge: Door

The Secret Door

The Secret Door

“Don’t forget to do the laundry!” my mom shouted from downstairs, slamming the front door shut as she went outside. I grabbed the basket and dragged it into the basement.

I placed the detergent on the shelf, and stared at the wall ahead. A faint stream of faint light caught my eye. “It's behind the old bookcase!”

The mysterious light intrigued me. After working the wooden shelf away, I found the source - a keyhole of an old, stout door with a partly chipped, worn out pattern on the sides. The rusty doorknob felt scratchy and cold on my fingers when I touched it. I held my breath out of excitement. Did I discover a secret passage?

I pulled on the knob, it wouldn’t budge. I glanced through the keyhole. A faint stream of bluish light was visible. Was this a portal? A secret room? Another world?

Justice, A Universal Law

Justice, A Universal Law

“Take the cookies out of the oven!” my mother’s voice resurrected in my consciousness, mercilessly throwing me into a cold reality. Tearing myself away from my book, I leapt up and ran to the kitchen, which was unusually cold with a nauseous smell of burnt parchment, sugar, and dough hanging in the air. I quickly squatted down, trying not to breathe, and opened the oven: on the tray was a curled, browned piece of parchment covered with dark brown, rock-hard lumps.

Excuses and fabulous stories to cover up my forgetfulness raced through my head, each being more unbelievable than the other.

I opened the door. The sting of winter wind quickly carried away the smell.

Fickle Fortune

Fickle Fortune

(Two men are driving a car, in a hurry to get to their destinations.)

B- (B, rummaging around and feeling his pockets) Drat! I forgot my phone!

A-(focused on driving) Don’t worry, you can take mine.

B- (relieved) Thank you! I will just make one call, and then lock the phone inside the car.

A- (still concentrated on the road ahead) That’s fine with me.
*************

(A parks the car, and hurries off. B makes the call on the phone, and departs.)

A Concert of Invisible Musicians

A Concert Of Invisible Musicians

I am sitting by the window, listening to the sound of wind chimes - “a concert of invisible musicians, played on instruments unaltered through the times…”

The familiar tinkling of a wind chime throughout of neighborhood creates an enhancing atmosphere of calm and tranquility. Though never in the spotlight, the popularity of wind chime has a rich history and saw very little modifications.

In Ancient Rome, bronze chimes were hung in courtyards, where even the subtle movement of the wind caused the harmonious jingling.

In India, and later in China, pagodas with wind bells hung suspended from the corners were extremely popular. Their sounds were said to frighten evil spirits.
essay 0 comments challenge: Lamp

Jests of Light and Shadow

Jests of Light and Shadow

A lamp flickered in the house, adding a warm glow to the dark living room. There was a power outage: no electricity, no heat. A large truck pulled down the wires, and the electrical company was not in a hurry to come and repair it, so the entire neighborhood was plunged into darkness.

With absence of electric lights, the stars and the moon were brighter than usual, but not bright enough to light up and warm the people's homes.

The flickering flame of the oil lamp cast dancing shadows on the walls, filling the room with whimsical silhouettes of mysterious nature.

An Ode To The Refrigirator On The Eve Of Its Replacement

Dear Admirable Refrigerator!
On the eve of your replacement, I want to express my most sincere gratitude for your unrivaled performance during these past 30 years. The decades you have served our family have been marked by unsurpassed efficiency and excellence. Through power outages, neglect of proper care, and constant tinkerings of your mechanisms, you stoically refrigerated our foods, keeping them refreshingly cooled. Even when a severe winter storm pulled down the wires, and the electricians failed to arrive for three days in a row, you still had the crisp, cold, frosty atmosphere as if nothing happened (a nasty smell of your bowels is not to be mentioned in this letter).

An Ode To The Refrigiratoe

Dear Admirable Refrigerator!
On the eve of your replacement, I want to express my most sincere gratitude for your unrivaled performance during these past 30 years. The decades you have served our family have been marked by unsurpassed efficiency and excellence. Through power outages, neglect of proper care, and constant tinkerings of your intricate mechanisms, you stoically refrigerated our foods, keeping them refreshingly cooled. Even when the electrical workers failed to arrive for few days in a row, you still had the crisp, cold, frosty atmosphere as if nothing happened (a nasty smell of your bowels is not to be mentioned in this letter).

An Ode To The Refi

Dear Admirable Refrigerator!
nonfiction 0 comments challenge: It

Testimonial of a Backyard Poultry Keeper

City folks who trade the hustle and bustle of a large metropolis to a peaceful life in a country are usually very naive, easily excitable, inexperienced and ambitious.

Our family’s chicken euphoria started with my secret zeal to conduct behavioral experiments on laying hens. As a backup for my idea, I argued that several pullets would supply the household with a steady egg production.

At first, the family voted against it; who would savor the prospect of cleaning out a smelly coop, the pains of predator-proofing the run, and tolerating scattered feathers. Gradually the concept of a fresh eggs and toylike birds, peacefully grazing, overpowered the unpleasant thoughts, and the die was cast.

1+1=1

1+1=1

It was a bright, warm morning. I ran down the hill ready to embrace the entire world. A flock of ducks was bouncing on the emerald waters. There I saw her…..  She was standing up straight, throwing stones into the water, scaring up the ducks.

“Why do you do this?” She didn’t turn; I could only see her back, but there was something arrogant in the movement of her shoulders. Unconsciously I mimicked her movement; something drew me towards her. I flung my backpack over my shoulder, and walked over to her. “Hello?” I began. “Good day, isn’t it?”

“Good day? Go and enjoy it then,” she replied, not even trying to face me. The girl’s manner resembled my own, and it was embarrassing. “I….I just…. thought you look very much like me!” “No, I don’t! Go away and stop bothering me! You’re such a nuisance!”