An Ode To The Refrigiratoe

Dear Admirable Refrigerator!
On the eve of your replacement, I want to express my most sincere gratitude for your unrivaled performance during these past 30 years. The decades you have served our family have been marked by unsurpassed efficiency and excellence. Through power outages, neglect of proper care, and constant tinkerings of your intricate mechanisms, you stoically refrigerated our foods, keeping them refreshingly cooled. Even when the electrical workers failed to arrive for few days in a row, you still had the crisp, cold, frosty atmosphere as if nothing happened (a nasty smell of your bowels is not to be mentioned in this letter).

An Ode To The Refi

Dear Admirable Refrigerator!

Testimonial of a Backyard Poultry Keeper

City folks who trade the hustle and bustle of a large metropolis to a peaceful life in a country are usually very naive, easily excitable, inexperienced and ambitious.

Our family’s chicken euphoria started with my secret zeal to conduct behavioral experiments on laying hens. As a backup for my idea, I argued that several pullets would supply the household with a steady egg production.

At first, the family voted against it; who would savor the prospect of cleaning out a smelly coop, the pains of predator-proofing the run, and tolerating scattered feathers. Gradually the concept of a fresh eggs and toylike birds, peacefully grazing, overpowered the unpleasant thoughts, and the die was cast.

1+1=1

1+1=1

It was a bright, warm morning. I ran down the hill ready to embrace the entire world. A flock of ducks was bouncing on the emerald waters. There I saw her…..  She was standing up straight, throwing stones into the water, scaring up the ducks.

“Why do you do this?” She didn’t turn; I could only see her back, but there was something arrogant in the movement of her shoulders. Unconsciously I mimicked her movement; something drew me towards her. I flung my backpack over my shoulder, and walked over to her. “Hello?” I began. “Good day, isn’t it?”

“Good day? Go and enjoy it then,” she replied, not even trying to face me. The girl’s manner resembled my own, and it was embarrassing. “I….I just…. thought you look very much like me!” “No, I don’t! Go away and stop bothering me! You’re such a nuisance!”

Vanquishing the Wall

Vanquishing The Wall

I knew I shouldn’t laugh watching a hockey player crashing into the wall, though it was hysterically improbable, besides, it was just a movie.

My brother and I were skating, when I suddenly recollected the comical side of the otherwise disturbing occurrence, and started giggling uncontrollably. My brother, perplexed, looked at me with bewilderment. “Are you okay?”

Still chortling, I explained the reason for my laughter. “I can’t imagine how anybody can survive hitting the wall on high speed, forget about going on with the game,” I finished. My brother wasn’t amused at all. It’s not funny!” he fumed, and sped away in another direction.

Preposteous Genisis

Preposteous Genisis

The anfractuous, gutturniform beaker was full of a pellucid liquid, insinuating water, with non-defined olfactory properties. The scientist was even ready to dispense the container and commence the experiment all over for amaranthine, torturous hours. He went over to the window, letting in the fresh breeze to soothe his tenacious headache. An approaching thunderstorm made the air imperviously muggy and very warm; so dense you could hardly cut it with a machete.

The scientist's eye caught a distant, fugacious flash of lightning circumnavigating the horizon. At this very moment, a small, diaphanous arc of light started to twitch in the tube, and dematerialized in a second. "Is it a hallucination?" Most likely it was. But something seemed to trigger the scientist’s curiosity.

The Crossroads Of Infinity

The Crossroads Of Infinity

It was a warm summer evening. A playful breeze was tickling the trees, gently rustling their leaves in a quiet melody. The party was at full peak, full of laughter and talking, clinking of glasses and cheerful chatting. Among the guests was a man whose life was slowly being seeped up by the infinite.

In his better days he was a doctor serving on a submarine, and now was slowly dying from exposure to high level radiation. He knew the outcome and was not afraid to die, but was still fighting as a brave soldier. The moments when an acute pain was hard to tolerate in the presence of others were coming more often.

The Place That I Love

The Place That I Love

I open the kitchen door and dash outside into the backyard. The wooden deck is moist and slippery, the pool is covered with a green tarp reflecting the sky and the gnarled apple tree with great detail. As my foot touches the pool’s cover, silvery cracks appear on the surface. At night there was a frost. I reach my hand out and touch a thin layer of ice. As I look more closely, I see the crystallized surface and tiny air bubbles inside. This is the first ice of the season!

Soon, my little brother joins me, and together we plunge into the world of “Matika”, the whimsical transportation systems, the imaginary cities and neighborhoods, and cooking of exotic foods. Of course, there are other games; the ones with “bad guy Fark”, the “good 4-wheelers”, seven magical cats with their leader, and countless others.

It's All About The Safety

It's All About The Safety

It was a cool, crisp December morning. The remains of the snow storm in melted dirty piles lay on the curbs, frozen by the night’s cold spell.

I bundled up, and with some effort managed to leash our jumping and licking puppy. Of a slender but muscular build, he was a true born hunter; nothing could stop him from following a scent. Twice smaller than a labrador, our foxhound Shurr possessed an incredible strength and determination. If he would get something in his head, nothing could stop him, not even a leash; he’ll drag you along for miles.

Back to the story. While I was fidgeting with Shurr, my mom harnessed up our St. Bernard, Lappa and we walked out. The winter wind stung my face as I opened the door.

What's In My Name?

What’s In My Name?

My name, Uma, is equally rare in all cultures.

As far as namesakes, Uma Thurman, a Hollywood actress and super-model, now around 46, is probably the only well-known person called Uma in the United States. She was named after Uma Chenpo, a Tibetan Buddhist, who is even less known to the world.

The name has an ancient Hindu origin, and means “flax”, or “turmeric” in a direct translation from Sanskrit. It also symbolizes “mother” and “light”, which has to do with the the Hindu goddess, Uma, more commonly known as Parvati, the eternal spouse of God Shiva. Therefore it also carries the meaning of “tranquillity, splendor, and fame”. Uma represents the form of feminine energy, (Shakti), and therefore is interpreted as “universal mother”.