keetonj's picture

Haunted

The chair haunted me, it was in my dreams, when I woke up, everyday, all day, and of course at exactly 3:30 in the afternoon when the big yellow bus dropped me off, it was displayed ever prominently in my mind. When I had to look up at the the porch, that should make me feel good memories of barbecues and relaxing in the summer sun. Instead my eyes were trained to focus on the old wood, skimming over the playthings that lay strewn haphazardly in a jumbled pile. Until I came across the marks where the chair had once stood. When I saw that porch at 3:30 I wasn't just reminded of the chair but the events that had transpired in it. I was just 8 years old at the time, and was being watched by grandma. When I came home grandmother Alice, was sitting as always in the old rocking chair on the porch. I gave her a hug and went inside. I took some cookies I had made earlier with my big sister, and set them in front of her.
    “We made you some cookies,” I told her, shyly.
keetonj's picture

Drummer Boy

It was wet and cold outside not a nice day at all, but I was curled up by the window staring out into rain, listening to my favorite funk music. As I heard the drums come in I imagined the artist on stage in front of a million people all dancing to the song. Suddenly, it wasn’t just the song it was my song, and I was the musician up there, playing like there was no tomorrow. I scoffed at the vision like I could ever play like that, like I could write anything or really exceptionally good at something. But I knew as I told myself these things that I didn’t really believe it, there was a small piece of my mind, that said why can’t that be possible. And I was furious at myself for it. I knew I would never get my own drum set. For I had already begged and pleaded with my parents.
    “We just don’t have enough money, sweetheart,” my mom had said. “Why don’t you try the harmonica, we could get you that,” my dad had said. 
keetonj's picture

Hideaway

All I could think about as I fled through the countryside was how long I had until they got me. The images flashed through my head the police sirens, the screaming, and most of all the broken body that had laid dead on the sidewalk. One last time I checked the instructions Martha had given me, “Follow this map,” she had said. “You’ll be safe there.” Her wild eyes had stared into mine as we heard the cars pull up in front of the building. “Run,” she had whispered, and I did. I didn't know what I was looking for just something that would keep me safe, while the country looked for me, the killer of the man on the sidewalk. According to the map I should be a few feet away from the thing, whatever it was but I still saw nothing. Then, as I got closer something appeared out of thin air. It was a cabin though it looked more like a tool shed, it's bright red roof made it appear as it was trying very hard to look welcoming.