What, Mind?

Mind, please, come back.
I don't know when you left me
or why,
I don't know where we were
when you zipped out of my skull,
but come back. 
Please, come back.
Here's why.
This morning I got up from bed
took a shower and put on 
two different socks
started to put on my wife's boots
(a little tight, that's what gave it away)
and went out the door
withOUT my keys,
without my backpack,
without my lunch,
without getting my morning coffee.
That's just a little thing.
But what about the time last week 
when I got up and went home
only to remember, halfway home,
that I was supposed to meet someone,
20 minutes earlier.
Or a couple of nights ago,
when I woke up in the middle of the night,
cold sweat time,
and wondered whether I had double checked
that story, made sure the reporter
had all the documents to support it

Raw Text of Posts from April 17 to April 21

NOTE: Hi, this is the raw text of posts made between April 17 and April 21 that were "lost"  when YWP's server had to be rebuilt. We're very sorry for the intrusion and inconvenience. This was not a YWP problem but a problem with the company we are, for the moment, using to host our sites.

We asked them to supply us with the body text of all of those posts. IF YOU POSTED SOMETHING please do a "find" on the full version of this post for your username and copy and paste it into a new post.

IF YOU do that, or if you repost because you had a copy on your computer, PLEASE ADVISE US in the comments on the right. We will over this week re-post all the work, but it would be great if you can help.

THANKS!

geoff (gg)

P.S.  Unfortunately we had to delete all uploaded files because of the nature of the problem on the server. -- gg

Vid from the Web

Extraordinary

I watched Zuckerberg testify for a short time on Tuesday and then listened as I did some work. A couple of things came to mind, a couple of things struck me:
  • He still looks and acts like a rich college kid.
  • Has he ever worn a tie before?
  • Does he really expect we'll believe him?
I can't shake the image of his haughty outrage shortly after the November 2016 election when he said that it was ridiculous to think that Facebook had anything to do with the election. He's been backpedalling ever since. And it makes me think that, in fact, he still was in the mentality of a group of guys in rented house madly coding and re-inventing the platform initially designed, lest we forget, to let Harvard students rate women. Yes, that's true. It was called Facemash and it pulled photos from Harvard sites and set up a rating system for the "hottest" women on campus.

50 years ahead of his time

As some of you may know, each year I tap the maple trees behind my house and make syrup. It is a peaceful, methodical process. There is no way to speed up liquid boiling, or to hurry along the sap flowing out of the trees when done the way I do it, the old-fashioned way, a single tap per tree on which hangs a bucket and a top. The process is driven by nature -- temperature changes, physics and weather. It is an exercise of patience and affords me the time to slow down, to notice, to think. And as I chop wood, load the fire box, as I empty the buckets and haul the sap, as I feed the fire and, finally, drain off the syrup, I have plenty of time to think. 

This year, on Easter, I decided to listen to this sermon by Martin Luther King. I am not a Christian, but I respect the faith as I do all the religions and their power to make one think about one's place in life, to think about one's purpose, to align our souls to goodness. 

Invisibilia Story

A panel of judges sits to decide the fate of the young woman. She's the child of addicts and an ex-addict and ex-felon herself, and she's asking the court to trust her to become an attorney. The outcome of her case hinges on a question we all struggle with: are we destined to repeat our patterns, or do we generally stray in surprising directions? - a question increasingly relevant in an age when algorithms are trying to predict everything about our behavior.

Invisibilia -- NPR

I like ... gg

I love sugaring. It's crazy really because when you add up all the time and money and effort you put into it, cleaning the buckets, tapping the trees, hanging the buckets, emptying the buckets, chopping down the dead trees, sawing, splitting the logs, feeding the fire, draining off, refilling the evaporator, collecting more sap, filling the fire box, checking the density, draining off more near syrup, filling the holding tank, collecting sap, filling the fire box.... for what? 

For this:

A NYTIMES OpEd: I tried to Befriend Nikolas Cruz

This appeared March 27 on the OpEd page of the NYTimes. You can read it on the Times, here: 

I Tried to Befriend Nikolas Cruz.
He Still Killed My Friends.

By ISABELLE ROBINSON
MARCH 27, 2018

PARKLAND, Fla. — My first interaction with Nikolas Cruz happened when I was in seventh grade. I was eating lunch with my friends, most likely discussing One Direction or Ed Sheeran, when I felt a sudden pain in my lower back. The force of the blow knocked the wind out of my 90-pound body; tears stung my eyes. I turned around and saw him, smirking. I had never seen this boy before, but I would never forget his face. His eyes were lit up with a sick, twisted joy as he watched me cry.

MGMC Featured at Poetry Riot Tonight!

Muslim Girls Making Change, the amazing slam poetry team made up of seniors from Burlington and South Burlington high schools will be featured at this month's Poetry Riot, led by YWP's Artistic Director Rajnii Eddins.

Do not miss this performance Wednesday evening!

Open mic follows so bring your best poems to share to a responsive, supportive audience!

Vietnam

Photo by Ron Sherman
Excuse the intrusion into what is your space. But I think it important that we mentors share our own writing from time to time. And, well, I like this. I worked hard at it. And I'd like you to read it. And tell me what you think. Because like any writer, young or less-young, I like feedback. Be well. gg

As many of you know, I'm as old as the hills. Well, not quite that old, but some mornings I feel that way. I wanted to share with you my perspective on the events since February 14, 2018, which made me look at when I was 18, and I took to the streets, as it were.