margaret—ruth

my heart sunk 

when she told me to 

calm down 

because 

funny enough

freaking out used 

to be our thing

over small things 

big things 

anything. 

we were the good ones 

the ones untouched by the outer world. the ones with 

kind souls 

and lawful lips

but now those lips are sealed tight 

around a brown 

glass bottle 

and i am being told to 

calm down. 

everyone does it. 

i’m a city girl now. 

calm down, i am told. 

funny enough

calming her down

to be my thing

i was the less-anxious-but-still-very-anxious-one. 

i would calm her down 

over small things. 

big things 

anything. 

push and pull 

used to be our thing 

her

i know i should save her,

as her life lines fray. 

but her wicked and uncertain fingers 

weave an unpleasant tale. 

it’s easy to preach from 

inside of a church,

but it is much harder to care 

out here, surrounded by threats 

and needles 

planted in the dirt 

that prod at your ankles. 

out here, it is easy to 

forget how vital she is. 

out here, led by 

a man who’s 

heart beats to a 

completely different 

melody, it is easy to brew 

a hatred for her. 

i know i have.  

but no matter how miserable i am 

when i sit silently next to her,

i know i am more miserable 

sitting alone. 

Apostle

he was my guidance,

the flame that lit my soul.

His slightly tanned hands molded me from a

lump of cold clay.

He shaped me, a linguistic michael angelo,

he carved my mind with his mellifluous words;

each one twisting my spine, vertebrae by vertebrae until I cannot go back to the way I was.

He was my Zeus, mighty and sempiternal, He is the one who drew the map and led me

away from Lost. He is the one that made me lift

a pen and make shapes that freed my mind. He is the one that taught me how to teach.

He is the one that my soul will miss most. He awakened something

in me so real, so alive, that no matter what weapon the monster beneath my bed shoves

into my hands and whispers wickedly ‘do it. do it for real, this time’ I will refuse. I will embrace the

A Rose for my Rose

A Rose for my Rose

I can still remember the day I met her. I was in third grade, perched on a log among the school’s field, carefully constructing a dandelion crown from the grass around me. Each flower plucked from the earth with careful consideration of its stem length and vibrancy. My lissome fingers weaved the torn pedicels through one another. Among the soft sounds of the other children laughing and the wind shaking itself through the trees, a lamentation danced itself past my own humming and into my head. My eyes scanned the plain around me and they settled on a girl, beyond the tree line separating the field from the forest. She was leaned up against an oak, wrapping herself up as if the mid-March weather was much too cold.

My feet lit up and blinked as I trudged through the grass and the rain-kissed dirt towards her. She remained stoic as I sat down next to her small frame and asked her what was wrong.

How To Be Empty

If you are one of the seventy-million people who wish to be empty, then continue to read the following paragraphs, if not, I urge you to turn away, for the following is not a safe road.

You set aside loose fitting clothes before bed, along with a row of happiness—filled capsules.You find a soft spine measuring tape and place it beside your bed. You turn up the thermostat as high as it can go and put on many layers. You make sure to stack as many blankets on you as possible, heated ones on high are best. You feel even better when you remember the hot water bottle. You are burning up but you smile because you know that with every drop of sweat you spill, calories begin to panic and run away from your stomach. Your thighs.

The Definition of Modern-Day Schooling

The Definition of Modern Day Schooling

Everyone is genius, but if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.’ — Albert Einstein

It is 1905 in France and a psychologist named Alfred Binet is developing a test of intelligence. The French Ministry of Education is waiting for this evaluation to be completed, then handed out to students to determine which of them were slow learners.

The test was introduced as the ‘Binet-Simon scale’. This seemingly minor event would set off a butterfly effect that would flap its way right into a brewing storm. A century later, the youth are still feeling the wind from its wings.

prove me wrong

i pray that you prove me wrong. 

i hate being wrong. 

but what you have,

behind your metallic smile,

is stronger than my impulses to 

always be proven correct. 

please prove me wrong. 

i do trust you, believe me, i do,

but it’s his soul that beat you black and blue.... darling,

he gave you that bruise upon your arm, 

and you let him bandage the marks 

with a piece of scotch tape so 

please my love,  know that it is not you, but it is him that i do not trust. And if i’m standing by you, dressed in that dove colored fabric as you approach him with tears on your plush cheeks, i will smile, as you proved me wrong. I pray that you prove me wrong. 

Love Sucker

A home for me is any place far
from your grasping hands and lava lips,
coercing my mind into compliance.
Telling my body to submit to your
disguised poison
and venom slipping
through my outstretched neck
and hiding in my veins until I
am too far gone to
know it still
lingers 

The Blueprint of Social Justice

What is a blueprint, exactly? Is it a tinted piece of vellum, or a map laying out the steps to take in order to be successful? Is it formulas and a handful of nuts and bolts, or is it simply a visualized Candyland board with no shortcuts and no winning rainbow square at King Kandy’s castle?

Most people will happily live their lives without ever thinking about the answers to these questions. I am not one of those people. I am one of the people who will turn these questions every which way in my head and still struggle to come up with a definitive answer.

I do not think I will ever be able to stand in front of the masses and say with confidence, ‘Social justice is...’, or, ‘The blueprint of social justice is…’ Although I may never be able to answer that question with a concrete answer, I can answer it with what I do know. What I am unequivocally sure of is that the blueprint to social justice is subjective.

Dell, Dell.

words fall from her tongue and 
shatter against the tattered wood floor
beside her feet. she spreads her
warmth across a sea of children and
makes each of
them understand the word ‘home’
even if they can’t speak a single word yet. 

her voice melts the cement
walls built around them;
their small hearts beating to
the rhythm of her strumming fingers. 

each pluck of the melody
echoes around the darkest corners of her room as she
hides her secrets beneath the floorboards.
shadows caress the fresh
paint around her windows and
demand parts of her soul, and
every time she gives another fraction
away, splintering herself so
that even the greatest of evils can
have a ray of light to carry with them.
Her soul then becomes empty, until a
figure made of pure light teeters slowly
into her lap, unbalanced and unabashed