Pears

It was only a bowl of pears. 
     Nothing more than five pears in an ugly ceramic bowl sitting on a table in a cheap hotel room in Burlington, Vermont.
     And yet this incredibly unextraordinary bowl of pears had been holding Xavi's utmost attention for a little over ten minutes now. 
     Xavi had been born in Zanzibar, and although his memories of the place were faint, he could distinctly remember a bowl sitting on the table, perpetually full of pears. Pears, of all the fruits in the world. What had his mother been thinking? He supposed she had expected them to eat them, and he did, because when you're a young kid just the novelty of grabbing something out of the fruit bowl whenever you want is enough. And so, his mother always bought more pears. 

A short, not-nearly-as-complete-as-I'd-like-it-to-be tribute to Mick Ronson

Today I randomly feel like shedding some light on an underrated musician: Mick Ronson
David Bowie fans will know Ronson as the petite, delicate-featured, glammed-out blond guitarist standing next to Bowie onstage, singing backup and shredding guitar. Despite playing several instruments and working with several notable musicians such as Van Morrison and Bob Dylan, he's not quite as well-known as he should be. 
Besides being a multi-instrumentalist, was also a songwriter, producer, and arranger. Mostly working as a studio session man and playing behind frontmen, his brilliance was revealed to the world as the lead guitarist of David Bowie's band, the Spiders from Mars. 
poem 0 comments challenge: Portrait

A Young Woman

There is a young woman who lives nestled in the mountains
Her eyes sparkle behind wide, rimless glasses that make her eyes even more beautiful
The rain falls on her smooth, toffee-colored skin and she welcomes it
Like she welcomes everyone
She has very short, very dark hair that is never perfect
And seems to have an endless supply of clever t-shirts
She always smells like lavender and lemons
She is childlike and yet wise
She is open and loving and understanding and balanced
And will always be there to guide you through a rough spot
Everyone who meets her can't help but adore her
Everyone should know someone like her

Empowered

I am no one
I sit alone in my room
Writing words that no one has read
Yet
I dream
The stars call me
Tell me what I could have
But they're not going to give it to me
I learn
Hours
Sweat and exaustion and yes, tears
But someone told me it would all be worth it
Someone handed me the world and said
THIS IS YOUR DREAM
No one is going to give it to you
Dream it
Earn it
Live it
I am empowered
I hold the power to create my own future
No one can take that power away

When Will it be Enough

I'm a beginner guitarist having a try at songwriting... I'm not sure how it sounds, hopefully it's decent...

Lyrics:
Well you're so great and I can't get over the modest things you've said
You're so very amazed with yourself, you're a star in your own head
Who did you think would be lining up to be your backup crew?
Open your eyes, to your surprise there's no one there but you
When will it be enough?
What would it all be for?
You had everything
But you wanted more
Here you come, the one and only
Not at the top but you're still lonely
Who will you turn to for help
Now that you've lost all to yourself?
When will it be enough?
What would it all be for?
You had everything
But you wanted more

Random Question that is listed under non-fiction because I don't know what else to put it as

I'm curious: If you had a time machine, what are four things you would do?
Here are mine:
1: Go to the Beatles' first performance at the Cavern Club.
2: Go to a Led Zeppelin concert- any Led Zeppelin concert, it really doesn't matter.
3: Go to a Queen concert
4: Go to a David Bowie concert- specifically, his last performance as his alter-ego Ziggy Stardust. 

As you can probably tell, I'm a fan of classic rock.   

Jul 31

A Prisoner of my Mind.

Once upon a time, I lost my grip on reality. I spent years with my head in the clouds, dreaming of a life I could not have. I fell in love with people I'd never met, became attached to places I'd never been. I waited for the impossible to happen- for those dreams to become a reality.
     One day I realized I would be waiting forever. What had started off as daydreams became so real to me, and I wondered every day when my "real" life would start. I accepted that if this continued I would live a dismal, unfulfilled, life, unable to become attached to anyone or really live. I couldn't go on like this. 
Jul 26

Rock's Not Dead

For years, the music industry has been dominated by autotuned, lipsynching pop stars singing about... well, nothing in particular. (No offense to anyone, I respect all music tastes, even ones I don't agree with. Well, except Justin Bieber.)
     I listened to the classic rock legends of old and was sure that these were belonging to the one golden age of music, a time when music was meant to say something, not just blast the same meaningless radio dribble out of out headphones. Of course, we still have some of the old rock stars performing, but these are mere echoes, like a faded, threadbare pair of jeans- really, you've got to admire them for holding on, and some are still actively coming out with music, but to be honest, rock and roll was an aging style. And really, isn't it time the Rolling Stones retired? For real this time, not the ten times they've claimed to. They all hate each other, anyway. 
     And now...
Jul 24

Wannabe

It's all I've ever wanted to be
I've only ever wanted to set my words free
I wanted to stand on a stage in the light
I wanted to be a star in my own right
I'm loving the music, I don't care about the money
Please don't laugh, it isn't funny
To take someone's dreams and throw them in the fire
I said I could make it- don't call me a liar
Just because you've got a nice guitar
Doesn't mean I couldn't make it just as far
You've got all those pretty friends
But it really won't mean a thing in the end
Don't say I'm jealous- I say you're too proud
I'm out on the rim while you're in with the crowd
It's YOU who said nobody just wants a singer
That without a guitar I'd never be a winner
THEN I'LL LEARN

Won't you teach me?

Jul 02

HAVE YOU SEEN THEM?

ATTENTION 
This message contains urgent information concerning a group of DANGEROUS FUGITIVES that pose and immediate threat to ANYONE WHO THEY COME IN CONTACT WITH.
The year is 1978. The place is the United States of America (The threat is hopefully restricted to the North Coast). And an Extra Terrestrial being HAS BEEN DETECTED ON EARTH.