fiction 1 comment challenge: Today
Allyson_Perry's picture

Lessons in the Grocery Store

Today. Today I went to the grocery store. Today I went out to get eggs, milk, and honey. I wasn’t in the pursuit of any vast knowledge, rather a few simple items to fill the holes in the pantry. To abandon the argument I had started with my father. I left with a crumpled up ten-dollar bill, but I returned with so much more. I didn’t expect to hear anything profound in the grocery store, especially in between the aisles containing cleaning supplies and greeting cards.  I never thought that the four-year old being dragged down the rows by his mother would utter something wise during his fit over not buying popsicles.
Allyson_Perry's picture

Weekends are for Living

I sat there on the cold, metal chair not moving, excluding the ever so slight roaming of my eyes as I surveyed my surroundings. The room was fairly similar to the interrogation rooms you see on television. The entirety of the space was various shades of gray, including me, well, with the exception of my bright red nail polish. I felt suddenly compelled to examine my fingernails. The aforementioned nail polish was no longer in the perfect, fresh manicure condition it had been when I applied it the previous morning. It had begun to peel at the edges and huge chunks had flaked away as a result of my most recent activities. The fire-engine red had been dulled, with dirt, to more of a brick or rust hue.
Allyson_Perry's picture

Weekends are for Living

I sat there on the cold, metal chair not moving, excluding the ever so slight roaming of my eyes, as I surveyed my surroundings. The room was fairly similar to the interrogation rooms you see on television. The entirety of the space was various shades of gray, including me. Well, with the exception of my bright red nail polish. I felt suddenly compelled to examine my finger nails. The aforementioned nail polish was no longer in the perfect fresh manicure condition it had been when I applied it the previous morning. It had begun to peel at the edges and huge chunks had flaked away as a result of my most recent activities. The fire engine red had been dulled, with dirt, to more of a brick or rust hue.
Allyson_Perry's picture

Texts from Mom

I hate to love my cellphone. I love to be able to talk to my friends whenever I desire. Fast communication is a blessing and a curse. It's nice to recieves messages that are a reminder that the people you care about are alive and okay. That part of smartphones is great. Social media is pretty nice too. If you ignore the negativity it is a great way to have a deeper insight into your friends lives and the world around you. Sometimes though this technology can seem more like a curse than a blessing. It's those moments when you're at home under a warm banket by the fire reading and your phone rings. You can ignore it once, maybe twice, but by the sixteenth time it begins to be harder. You switch it to silent. Then you hear it vibrate against the table. It is your mother asking if you need eggs. Maybe if you had thrown it out the window when you had the chance you could've finished your book. You didn't though. You checked. Something about phones - people look at them. 

fiction 0 comments challenge: Knew
Allyson_Perry's picture

Sour Milk

I just knew it was going to happen today. Everything was going to go wrong today. When I woke up to the sound of the obnoxious alarm I was on the wrong side of the bed. This was the first sign. The omen of things to come. I'm tempted to stay under the covers. To stay under the sheild of cotton blocking out the world and letting in only my dreams. This would've been the easy way out. Instead I slid my bare feet onto the cold wood floor and shuffle down the hall to the kitchen. The whole way there I rub sleep from my eyes. As the coffee pot trickles and the toaster hums the sensation of something bad being inevitable drifts into a corner of my mind. When the bread pops up with a satisfying ding it is almost forgotten, yet the senstion lingers within the tense way I butter my toast. As I set the table the sun filters in the half open shades a promise of a warmer winter day. I place plate down on the table top with toast on top.
fiction 0 comments challenge: Knew
Allyson_Perry's picture

Sour Milk