The Voice - August 2018

The Voice - April/May 2018

The Voice - January 2018

Nov/Dec 2017 Issue

Jul 25

cjp1

FOLD: MORE ON CHARACTER

[Workshop and art by Avi Kendrick, YWP]

SAYING HELLO

Welcome to Character Creation!

When creating a character, you are creating a person. This makes something that seems so simple actually very complicated. In this playlist, you will learn how to create a character.

As you go through the XP’s, you are going to be adding elements together to create a character, which you will use in the final project. You can repeat this process to create a second or third character later on if you need it for your final project.
Beginnings

FOLD: LIGHTING

[Photo: Darwin Bell, flickr]
WORKSHOP BY ERIN BUNDOCK, FOR YWP

FROM A NEW PERSPECTIVE

From a New Perspective
Have you ever looked at the world upside down? In your writing, have you ever tried approaching a topic or feeling from a different perspective?

This Playlist is going to get you thinking about how to make your visuals look at the world in new ways. Most of the learning in this Playlist will be discussion based as we talk about how different perspectives can be interpreted.

You'll also brainstorm some ways to approach each perspective or angle to help you with all the activities. You have enough skills in your toolbox to help you make these decisions, even if you don't feel like you do! Trust yourself and have fun!
High Angle
Take the time to look through the photos, and imagine that you're taking the photo.

FOLD: Character

YOU ARE JUST THE PEN

Most writers describe the sensation of surrendering control of their pen to their character. To anyone who has not had this experience, it makes no sense. After all, you are the writer, how can you not control the situation?
If you are asking these questions, you either have not written characters who are developed enough yet, or have forced your characters to bend to your definition of them. The first time a story really gets away from you, you might not realize it until discussing your writing with someone else. They will ask you why your character made x decision, and you will probably respond with something like “well, they wanted to do that.”

Fold: The Fable

What is a Fable?
A fable is a short story (written in either prose or poetry) that expresses a moral. Typically, the main characters in a fable are personified animals, mythical creatures, plants, inanimate objects, or forces of nature.

A classic fable is Aesop's The Lion and The Mouse, a link to a copy of it can be found here.
How is that different from a fairy tale?
A fairy tale is a children's story about magical and/or imagined creatures/lands. A fairy tale does not necessarily have to have a moral, and is directed toward children.

Fables exist to tell a moral, and are directed to both adults and children. Fairy tales also tend to be longer stories, while fables are short in nature.
What About the Folktale?

Fold: Emphasis (with H and C, Tonal and Tinted)

Emphasis and Color Combinations
In art, emphasis is just the area that draws the most attention to itself and is therefor the focal point. In the last Playlist series, you learned about how placement and lighting put emphasis on your focal point. This Playlist will help you place emphasis on your subject by using certain color schemes.

Colors use is an extremely powerful tool for all visual art forms, and combining colors is important to understand.

Take a look back at your ending activity from the Color Wheel Playlist. Which colors did you place next to each other?

Start observing the colors around you and in your own photos that happen to cross each other's paths. For instance, what colors do you usually see with the color blue? What do you think would happen if you paired it with a different color?