Anthology 9 Celebration!

Front cover art by Neelie Markley
Join YWP as we honor the young writers and artists who are published in Anthology 9!

All are welcome!

Sunday, Oct. 14, 5-7 pm
Maglianero Cafe
47 Maple Street, Burlington, VT

The YWP story

The Voice - August 2018

The Voice - June 2018

The Voice - April/May 2018

Vermont Writes Day is TODAY!

Seven minutes! Seven prompts! Give it a try!
Is your school participating? Get your teachers to give your class time to write for fun.

This is Young Writers Project's annual day of honoring writing -- a day when people of all ages in Vermont (and our friends in New Hampshire and around the country) take just seven minutes to write to seven fun prompts. You can participate on your own, or in class with fellow students and teachers; you can use pencil and paper, or write on one of our websites -- here (if you have an account; if you don't, be patient it may take a while for us to approve your account) or vermontwritesday.org which (no account needed) will open Thursday morning.

THE PROMPTS​

Prez: Write a letter to the president. Tell him one thing you want him to do -- and why.

I am: Start or end a piece of writing with the phrase, "I am the one who ... ", to describe who you are, what you love, what you dream of, etc. 

Social media: Imagine if all social media -- Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, Twitter, etc. -- shut down. Would that be a good thing or a bad thing? How would it affect your life?

Kindness: What's the nicest thing a stranger has done for you? 

Write awful: Use cliches, mixed metaphors, tense changes, whatever you're not supposed to do when you write an essay.

Invisible: Write about a time when you felt completely invisible, literally or figuratively.

Turn around: You answer your phone and a voice whispers, "Turn around..." What happens?

And -- as always -- General writing is welcome. Write about anything you like!

(Hashtag it #vtwrites18 to let us know it was written for Vermont Writes Day!)

PDF version for download (Bottom of this page)

The Voice - January 2018

Nov/Dec 2017 Issue

National Student Poet for the Northeast!

Alexandra Contreras-Montesano, a longtime Young Writers Project writer and senior at Burlington High School, has been named National Student Poet for the Northeast! This is the nation's highest honor for youth poets presenting original work. Alexandra traveled to Washington, D.C. this week to accept the honor with four other young writers from across the country who represent their areas as National Student Poets. Alexandra, known on YWP as angelaweasley, was chosen from among thousands of award-winning poets for this honor. Throughout the year, Alexandra will serve as a literary ambassador in the Northeast. She will share her passion for poetry and literacy with community groups, including Young Writers Project, where she has offered to lead workshops for her fellow YWPers! We'll follow soon with details and dates!