fiction 0 comments challenge: Fame

Fame

Fame: Write about a character who is suddenly famous. The paparazzi are outside the window and the character’s face keeps flashing on the TV screen, but she/he has no idea why! What happens? And why the sudden fame?

The Costume, V

Hannah, the four ghouls and Spider-Man left the house and set out in the dark night. Hannah’s mother sensed that her children felt they were too old to have her tag along, but since they hadn’t stated their objections, and with baby Annabelle now a consideration, she happily joined them, keeping a respectful couple of paces behind.

The group, experienced trick-or-treaters, quickly bypassed their own street – a waste of time, with its string of darkened houses and Mrs. Wilson’s Jolly Ranchers being the best they could hope for. They moved efficiently toward the bright lights of Maple Street, the street where Annabelle lived.

Celebration of Writing 2015

More than 50 young people from across Vermont and around New England attended Young Writers Project's Celebration of Writing on Nov. 7.

The Vermont College of Fine Arts in Montpelier was humming with creativity as writers and visual artists gathered for a full day of workshops and the release of "Anthology 7," YWP's collection of the best writing and photography from the past year.

Chard deNiord, the recently installed Poet Laureate of Vermont and author of five books of poetry, including the just published, "Interstate," kicked off the day with a writing workshop in the college chapel. He said later that he was impressed by the young writers' enthusiasm for their craft.

"I was really encouraged about how excited the students were about just writing, as if they've been bitten by the bug already," deNiord said.

John McCrae, Nov. 11

For Nov. 11: "In Flanders Fields"

In Flanders Fields
By John McCrae, 1872 - 1918

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place, and in the sky,
The larks, still bravely singing, fly,
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the dead; short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe!

Things

Last week my parents broke the news to me that we’re moving across the country.  Off to Colorado we go, where the sun and snow swirl together.  After selling our house one month ago, we moved into an apartment where we would stay until we found another house.  Of course, the plan was to buy a house in the same town.  That all changed when an incredible job position opened up for my mom, but on the other side of the country.

We're celebrating

Rise from your slumber, no time to waste.
We have poems to write and cookies to taste.
Throw on your trousers, the striped ones will do.
The red shirt is festive; all right, try the blue.
We're celebrating writing -- today is the day.
So write your heart out, and please don't delay.
The words will come to you; it'll be pure delight.
We're going to be writing from morning til night.

See you at the Young Writers Project Celebration of Writing in Montpelier! Today!

Six by the sea

Six quick words

Anthology 7 Photos (I)

Photos in Anthology 7 by Kevin Huang, Burlington High School, Ava Kendrick of Harwood Union High School and Gaelyn Martin (cover), Jo Munson, Haley Thon, Erica Hertle, Nate Ertle, Jeremy St. Clair and Cassidy Knight of Essex High School.

The Costume, IV

Previously: Hannah, age 9, has spent months preparing her costume for the perfect Halloween. But a last-minute change of plans threatens to ruin it...

IV
To her credit, Hannah did her best to cheer up. Tom, the kind-hearted but spacey boy from next door, Hannah’s oldest friend, knew enough to compliment her on her costume – and that pleased her. But as for the baby cousin coming along with them? Well, he didn’t see why it was such a big deal.
“It’s just Halloween,” he said from behind his Spider-Man mask.
No, Hannah thought. It was not just Halloween.