cmhemingwa's picture

Advanced Hanahaki

I don’t remember when it started and I doubt I’ll remember when it ends, if it does end at all. I’m shocked that I didn’t notice it starting, but I wish I did. Maybe if I did, I could have found a way to stop it, snip it at the bud before it fully bloomed, before it grew to such an extent. My days grow foggier with each new addition to my body. On my left hand my ring finger have shed skin and bone, now from the stump grow red carnations. Though at times when they wilt, in their place grow yellow ones instead. When I blush a single red rose blooms on the tip of my nose, while my cheeks and the tips of my ears are adorned by white chrysanthemums. My hair has cactus spikes hidden inside of it, stabbing anyone who dares run their fingers through it. When I’m enraged the spikes fly from my head, as if responding to my rage with their own. As I walk around town, gardenias fly behind me, leaving a trail of white wherever I go. When I cry marigolds and daffodils fall from my eyes.
cmhemingwa's picture

Modern Lord of the Flies

“At least we don’t have to wear uniforms anymore.” he says with a resigning sigh. The boys around him nodding along in agreement, stripping off what remains of their former uniforms, leaving them in only their cotton underpants. Everyone was calm, standing side by side in the burning sun, swaying slightly from the light breeze flowing over and around them. Looking at each other and shrugging, the boys continued to stand there, even as their bodies grew red and burns began to cover their bodies. The little ones were playing in the sand, trying to entertain themselves, while the big ones surveyed the surrounding area, looking for any sign of other people. There was no authority figure or adult to direct them back into the bus to avoid worsening their burns, the only adult that was present was the crazed bus driver who put them into this predicament in the first place. He now lay slumped halfway out of the windshield, glass coating his entire body like crystal snowflake kisses.
cmhemingwa's picture

Ashwin

By a sparkling and cool lake, I looked for Ashwin. Everyone else had already abandoned the search for him long ago, non believers I say. Oh how I screamed at them for giving up so soon, Ashwin is worth more than such a pathetic search. He was the best part of this god forsaken town, and they treat him like this? I think of all that he has done for the people in this town; walking everyone’s dogs for free, babysitting just for the fun of it, doing chores with no complaints at all and volunteering whenever he could. He gave this town so much and this is how they repay his unrelenting kindness towards them, by giving up on him. I never lost hope or gave up the search, I couldn’t. Ashwin wouldn’t leave me so easily, so I couldn’t either. We were ride or die together, never apart for very long and never leaving without telling the other where we were going. 
cmhemingwa's picture

Snatched

My feet were snatched out from under me and I went down. The twisting roots of the ancient oak trees had wrapped themselves around my tired legs, sending me straight to the wet ground. Mud covered the front of my body from head to toe, leaving me with the smell of earth seemingly imbedded into my natural scent. Laughter chimed behind me and I couldn’t hold mine back either. I sat on my hands and knees, practically gasping for air from laughing so hard, while mud slowly slid down my body and back into the cold earth. From behind me soft, twinkling lights dancing around me, echoing back their own laughter. My wheezing breaths and their wind chime esc sounds melded together to form an ancient song. A song that many claim to be long forgotten, but is actually always surrounding us in various forms. From the youthful voices of children, to the giggles of mischievous fairies. 
poem 0 comments challenge: Shoes
cmhemingwa's picture

Norma’s shoes

I smile and wave. The cameras
flash
into my eyes
from the corner of my eye.

Perfectly styled, blonde hair,
bounces with every step,
invading my vision.
The tips of my eyelashes,
flutter 
like a cabbage white butterfly.
Cheeks glow with a dusting of rouge. 

Everything
bigger, better.
I can no longer see what is underneath.
I can no longer see the Original.

Flawless pumps carry me across the crimson walkway.
Toes ache,
heels burn.
Step, smile, wave.
Step, smile, wave.

This was my dream,
to be here,
to be showered in mountains of attention,
to be an actress.
I did not anticipate what had to be done
in order to climb the social ladder.

Party after party,
man after man.
Sharp wit dulled,
disguised behind a pretty girl’s smile.
Whatever it takes to shine like a star.
cmhemingwa's picture

Laugh

He remembered he almost cried, but instead he laughed. It was what he did in troubling situations, a defense mechanism. Something he did to protect himself. Dad always told him boys shouldn’t cry, he never said they couldn't laugh. It was awkward at times, especially in places like funerals, but everyone knew it stopped him from breaking down. We all thought it was such a smart idea, brilliant even, until he could no longer tell the difference between such conflicting emotions as happiness and sadness. He was stuck in a tornado of emotions and feelings with no hope of ever getting out. A hell inside his own head where there was no help available. The worst part was, no one even tried to help him. We were all caught up in his happy front that we thought he was fine, we all ignored his pain, always brushing off his cries for help disguised as a laugh. I can barely remember it now, what he was like normally.
cmhemingwa's picture

Eden Whittaker

The world was full of people who are in love with Eden Whittaker. They are opposite of of few and far between, plentiful and everywhere. The world’s great sweetheart, she could do no wrong. She had never caused trouble, never been a part of a controversy, she was just perfect. Everyone agrees that she is beautiful, subjective beauty in a human form. She had almost everyone fooled, but she had one flaw, she was too perfect. She seemed to be artificial, humans aren’t that perfect. Humans are flawed creatures, that’s what charming about us. Our imperfections accentuate our perfections, she doesn't do that. Eden is like a barbie. She starts off fun and exciting, but her plastic skin goes dull as she is passed around. Soon she will be replaced like all toys eventually are. Either replaced, destroyed or forgotten. Few of us realize this, our eyes aren’t fogged up by her dazzling smile and we are not blinded by the lie that she is.
cmhemingwa's picture

Scarecrow

The crimes he committed were the worst we had ever seen. Every new body we found was in a strange yet gruesome place and most could not handle it. We lost so many trainees and even some older vets, it was just to intense. Rarely did he repeat a body display, but there was one he was partial to. His favorite was the scarecrow. He would nail his victim’s hands to the wooden frame, then force hay into their body for the scarecrow stuffing. Clean, new hay was always used of course, he needed everything perfect and dirty, old hay would ruin everything. In the end the victim would be placed in a field to die alone, scared and in indescribable pain. The latest of his treachery was new to us though. The only reason why found it was because a hiker slipped off the trail into a ditch where the body was. She was trapped down there with a broken leg and a rotting corpse for hours, helplessly calling out until a park ranger heard her.
cmhemingwa's picture

Climb

My fists flew through the air with deadly precision and impacted against my opponent's body. I had been training for years to become the best boxing champion around. After my devastating fall from grace years ago, I began to reform not only my image but also my body. People have seen me all around town doing different training methods. Many times I was seen at the local rock climbing wall buffing up my arms and working on my agility as the lack of it was a huge factor in my defeat before. The stories the little kids in town made about me always left a smile on my face. Some said I trained with deadly, man-sized scorpions, dodging pincers and stingers. Others say I go diving deep in the ocean without any oxygen and grab scallops, eating them shell and all. I don’t mind the kids, they are my driving force and I adore them. They look up to me and so I stay on top so I don’t let them down. I am their hometown hero and I will make them proud.
cmhemingwa's picture

Status and Silence

Petticoats upon petticoats are lifted over me and settled on my delicate hips. It’s a surprise that I don’t snap like a twig from the weight of them. An even bigger surprise is how I don’t suffocate or have my ribs shattered from the constricting nature of the corset. Praise the merciful lord that it is cold today or heat stroke would be added onto my list of concerns and grievances as the yards of fabric suffocate my petite frame. My beloved nanny hustles me out the door quickly so I don’t miss the brunch with my parents and fiance. I was lucky enough to not only marry up, as I was supposed to, I also avoided marrying my cousin. I wasn’t lucky enough however to marry someone I loved, but that is impossible anyway. I have never held any fancy for anyone and as I grew from a little girl into a woman, that never changed. My soon to be husband knew this of course, it was the reason why he asked for my hand in marriage without my parents’ prompting.