fiction 2 comments challenge: One
dkotlowitz's picture

A Car Ride

“Crap.”

“Look in the mirror.”

“We did nothing wrong.”

“No. Slowing down won’t change how they see us.”

"It’s never fair. Sooner you accept that, sooner you can began to live with it.”

“Don’t you get it? There’s nothing you can do! We’re different.”

“Too bad. You can’t change it, may as well learn to live with it.”

“You know why not? Because they’re dead. They were killed for doing exactly what you’re planning to do. Look, I’m not saying it’s not wrong. But countless people have died for it, and no one knows their names. And personally, I don’t wanna die for something that won’t change because I died.”

"Of course I’m afraid! Everyone’s afraid! They’re afraid; we’re afraid. Compassion doesn’t influence our actions anymore, and neither does greed. Fear does. We’re all slaves to fear.”

“You can’t refuse. If you do, they’ll crush you.”
fiction 0 comments challenge: One
dkotlowitz's picture

A Car Ride

“Crap.”

“Look in the mirror.”

“We did nothing wrong.”

“You know why not? Because they’re dead. They were killed for doing exactly what you’re planning to do. Look, I’m not saying it’s not wrong. But countless people have died for it, and no one knows their name. And personally, I don’t wanna die for something that won’t change because I died.”

"Of course I’m afraid! Everyone’s afraid! They’re afraid, we’re afraid. Compassion doesn’t influence our actions anymore, and neither does greed. Fear does. We’re all slaves to fear.”

dkotlowitz's picture

A Leaf's Voice

It’s a cold day in a cold year. The people walking past me cast me cold looks, giving my empty, cold hands disdainful glances. And for some reason, I’m glad they pass me by. To me, one of the most difficult emotions to fulfill is gratitude. To have a debt to repay, someone to thank, makes me want to curl up within myself. It seems too emotionally withering for me to look someone in the eye, see their successful, happy lives reflected back at me. When I do feel the need to be grateful, it will be as an equal for someone who sees me as an equal.