Seraphyn.Payne's picture

The Last Hurricane

“Mommy, I’m scared.” a tiny voice whispered. A few families sat huddled underground. The world was being torn above their heads and only the oldest members knew what was happening. The youngest sat huddled on laps, clutching family pets. Fish swam lazily in their bowl on a small wooden table in the corner. No one wanted to explain to the children that when they were finally allowed back upstairs, their homes might not be there.

“I know, baby. Here, come read this.” the last part was directed to the oldest boy, sitting in the farthest corner of the damp basement. He climbed to his feet and lifted the small child off the mother’s lap. She carried a soft blanket in her chubby arms and her thumb was wet with her saliva.

“What’s happening?” she whispered, her voice echoing in the small room.
fiction 0 comments challenge: Twist
Seraphyn.Payne's picture

My Grandfather and My Typewriter

The click-clack of the computer eyes soothed my ears as I sipped from the cold can of iced tea next to me. The clickity of hard keys was a sound I was quite accustomed to, but not the ones of a computer. No, I prefered the click click of heavy typewriters, the keys cold against my fingertips. Not a day goes by that I don’t miss my old typewriter, an old scratched thing my grandfather had gotten one day at the dump.
Seraphyn.Payne's picture

Money Bags

What do you mean?

You forgot the bags?
Imbecile!

Idiot!

I’m sorry, I forgot…

You forgot?

It’s okay guys, he said he’s sorry.

No, I’m serious. I’m sorry.

Boo-hoo.

We are all screwed because of you.

We can’t leave the car now!

We can’t get this job done and the boss is gon have our hides!

You know it, I know it.

We’ll buy some duffel bags?

With what money!

I don’t know guys!

He doesn’t know!

He doesn’t know!

Guys!

Knock it off.

Boss!

What happened.

He forgot..

The damn bags..

We can’t do it now.

Damn. Come here.

Yessir.

You forgot the bags?

Yessir.

You know what happens to those who mess up?

Yessir.

Good. Do it.

Sir?