poem 2 comments challenge: Senses

Ode to The Rain

My footsteps gently patter on the sidewalk
But I do not hear them because I have my headphones on.
I pause for a moment, taking off my headphones and they rest around my neck.
I adjust my glasses and look around.
The sky is a solid, pale grey color
Matching the gloominess of the day.
There is not much to look at
Besides the damp trees and the dew-covered grass
And the occasional car going by.
Raindrops softly land on my hoodie.
It is not raining much, but it is still cold and wet.
I pull my hood up and study my surroundings.
Still not much to see.
Not many people are around.
The gloominess has kept them inside.
It truly seems like a sad day.
Everyone is plagued with that little nag in their chest
The feeling of gloominess even if they’re happy.
It’s one of those days that make you feel like you’ve lost your best friend.
For some, that truly is the case.
I see a few cars drive by.

A Letter in the Wind

Self-Fufilling Prophecy

Peter has met many strange people, but he’s not sure if he’s encountered one this strange.

The woman was old, nearly ancient, it seemed, and her eyes were milky with cataracts. She looked very wise. She walked up to Peter and took his hands in her own, weathered with years of age and use. She spoke in a very soft voice.

“I have received a prophecy that is destined to happen, and it is about you.”
         Peter felt surprised. He had never experienced this, despite all the strange things he had experienced in his life. He looked at the old woman and blinked.

“Are you sure you have the right person?” Peter asked. “I’m no special guy.”
         The woman didn’t seem to react to that. Instead, she told him the prophecy.
         “Positive outcomes will fall upon you and one of your loved ones.”
fiction 2 comments challenge: Dye

Short-Term Disaster for a Short-Haired Girl

I’ve always wanted to bleach my hair a lighter blonde. My hair is already a natural dirty color, and once my natural looking red hair dye faded out, I found some gentle bleaching dye that I had been eyeballing every time I came across it. I had asked my hairdresser if the dye was okay for my hair and she said yes, especially considering how healthy and undamaged by any other dyes my hair was. So I bought the hair dye, went home, and began to read the instructions.
poem, fiction 3 comments challenge: Pal

He’s Not Real

Tyler isn’t much of a child anymore.

He’s just turned twelve, he’s a very smart boy.

But Tyler is a bit different than other twelve year olds.

Tyler has a friend.

Tyler’s friend’s name is Josh.

Everyone tells Tyler that Josh isn’t real.

Tyler doesn’t believe them.

Tyler talks to Josh. Josh always replies.

Tyler can see Josh.

They always hang out in Tyler’s treehouse.

Tyler’s mom is worried about Tyler and she has put him in therapy.

Tyler tells Josh that he can’t come into the therapy sessions with him, and Josh listens.

Tyler talks about Josh a lot to his therapist.

His therapist doesn’t show much emotion, he simply nods his head and writes stuff in his little notebook.

Tyler doesn’t understand why he has to be in therapy. Tyler loves being friends with Josh.

“He’s not real,” His mom would tell him.

Crash and Burn

Violent winds batter the house and heavy rain slams down. It sounds more like bullets than simple drops of water. The family that lives in the house is down in the basement, listening to the loud wind and rain pounding against the house in merciless, continuous bouts. The family was safe, but the house was not built quite strong enough to withstand the full strength of the hurricane. It seemed that the walls of the house were only moments away from being torn down. The mother and father of the two children in the family had a fairly tense relationship, not at all on divorcing terms, but not on very good marital terms either. They seemed to argue a lot, but only when the children weren’t around. They weren’t going to subject the children to their anger just because they were having a difficult time in their marriage. It wasn’t anything a marriage counselor couldn’t fix, but the couple was determined to work it out on their own before they reached out for help.
fiction 2 comments challenge: Alone

House of Life

The house was quiet, devoid of human life. It had been an hour since the humans had left to go on a road trip. The house began to stir, quite literally. The books perched upon the bookshelf yawned and came to life. The dishes in the cupboard carefully climbed out and began to roam around. The small, unlit candles jumped from their table and rolled into the living room. The reclining chairs and couch remained stagnant but alive now nonetheless. Every small, mobile object made its way into the living room. They seemed to be hosting a meeting, only talking amongst themselves. The pet cats that were roaming about saw the previously inanimate objects now moving around and speaking, and they yowled in confusion, scrambling to hide downstairs, dodging some small cat toys ironically hopping up the stairs.

Luckily Unlucky or Unluckily Lucky? (That’s What Friends Are For)

Luck is a gift; a gift that Patrick does not possess. He had hope at one point, but now he’s fully convinced that he’s somehow cursed. Maybe it’s part of being a teenager, but he’s still not too sure. Everyone has some misfortunes at times, yes, but not typically a tragedy a day. While the tragedies aren’t absolutely horrible, they are enough to send Patrick into some form of an existential crisis, asking himself what he could’ve possibly done to receive such horrible luck.

Now, Patrick does have good days, but they aren’t very common. It’s more likely that he’ll somehow drop an amp on the toes of his sneakers while trying to lug the band equipment back into the van after a show than it would be to find a stray ten-dollar bill in one of his pockets. It’s always the little things that count, he likes to tell himself. It’s a comforting statement at this point for him.
fiction 2 comments challenge: Club

The club for awkward kids, by awkward kids.

I stare at the invitation. It seems fairly innocent, written in awkward but legible handwriting. I’m still not too sure about the club, however, because some of the rumors that have spread about it are rather concerning. I’m not one to believe rumors unless there’s actual proof, however. Sure, people have said pig sacrifices have occured in that club, but how on Earth would you sneak a pig into school? The rumors surely are false.

Setting the small slip of paper down, I sigh and lean back against the wall. This is ridiculous. I shouldn’t be worrying about a stupid club, but I am. The easiest thing to do would be to just politely say no and move on with my life. Something keeps nagging me, though.

Maybe this club will help me get out more and actually socialize? Maybe I’ll actually enjoy it. It could be worth a try, but do I really want to? It’s ridiculous how worked up I am over this.

Here To Stay

She’s standing there, thinking.

Her freckle-dappled face seems to glow in the moonlight.

She has a wistful smile on her face as she gazes out into the distance, her pale eyes focused on nothing in particular.

She’s thinking about him.

No, not a boyfriend. She doesn’t have or want one.

She’s thinking about her brother.

He’s been away for a while. She’s not quite sure where he went. She does know that she misses him.

She closes her eyes for a moment. She pictures his face: soft brownish hair, blue eyes with the unique little ring of yellow around his pupils, his pale skin, and his pink lips which always seemed to be upturned in a smile.

His lips weren’t smiling when he told her that he had to leave for a while.

She would always refer to him as her little brother, even if he was only slightly younger.
Thinking about him hurt sometimes.

She opens her eyes.