EthanMarshia's picture

The Christmas Spirit

The blustery conditions cannot prevent this annual tradition. Two silhouettes move slowly towards the tall roadside maples. In their arms are boxes of holiday cheer that will light up the stoic neighborhood. As the figures grow closer, one is significantly taller than the other. This father and son duo are on a mission to brighten the lives of every passing car at all hours of night. They stoop in the snow to drop of the first load. They head back into the large red barn and emerge with two ladders. The small boy is determined to prove his strength. He doesn’t need his father to carry his ladder for him. He sways and tips with his massive load. The weight overtakes him and he is pitched into the snowbank, ladder in tow. The father peers of the edge and sees his son grinning from ear to ear and covered in fluffy powder. They share a laugh but are not distracted from their task. They hum carols, and the boy hears the occasional enthusiastic belting of a verse from his father.
EthanMarshia's picture

Land of the Free, Home of the Brave

The voices of US citizens, on the state of our country, are often negative and misunderstanding. America is the one of the only places in the world where you have freedom guaranteed. In our Constitution the first amendment our Founding Fathers made was the freedom of speech, religion, press, petition and peaceably assemble. This is something that people often take for granted and forget about. The United States gives its citizens the rights to do the things necessary to every day life. Nowadays America has changed a lot since fifty years ago. A big piece of todays world is electronic media. Media often can blow certain situations out of proportion. Media can influence peoples thoughts without them even knowing it. In circumstances where there are real issues people resort to what they see in the media which can result in false assumptions. Elections, sports games, court cases, and international opinions are all important things in today's world that are influenced by the media.