AuctorHistoriarum's picture

The Blood of Greed: A Horror Story

The Blood of Greed:

Our tale begins in the 16th century in Venice, in the age of masquerades. A time where parties of masks and dancing were popular. In a mansion near the sea, a prince sat alone in his chair. His name was Benoval, and he was a prince of wealth. His rooms were filled with luxurious items from the four corners of the world, his tables were made of gold, so were his statues, swords and outfits had gold threaded into them.  One day, this Prince wanted more. He wanted attention. 

“Halifax”! 

His man servant, who he hired because he had come with the palace and knew everything about it, approached through the door. “Yes sire”?

“Prepare the palace for a celebration. I am throwing the biggest masquerade in history”!

“As you wish my lord”.

AuctorHistoriarum's picture

Generation Z: Change Will Happen

Generation Z
“Change Will Happen”

We are Generation Z (born between 2001 and 2013). We are described as the “individualistic, and tech dependent” generation (Link). We and the Millennials(1980-2000) are  the generations that will inherit choices made by some of the lawmakers from the Baby Boomers(1943-1964) and the Silent Generation (1925-1942); from environmental issues, to gun violence, and social equity. We have to prepare or be ready to face the consequences of their decisions . So how do we prepare? 

Jul 19
essay 0 comments challenge: Legacy
AuctorHistoriarum's picture

Legacy?

For a person who loves history and writing, I have never thought about my legacy. When I try to, I am reminded of the people who had left legacies that have forever changed the world.  We can think of the conquerors like Genghis Khan, Julius Caesar, Rameses the Great, and Alexander the Great; peace activists like Martin Luther King Jr., Mahatma Gandhi, and Nelson Mandela, and humanitarians like Saint Teresa of Calcutta, and writers like Tolkien and Jane Austin. Which of them thought about their legacies as they embarked on their journey? 

I believe that for the conquerors, pursuit of glory, created their legacies. Alexander, Ghengis, Ramases, and Caesar had a thirst for glory and fame. How do we know this? Caesar and Rameses made statues of themselves  while they were alive. Caesar, Alexander, and Genghis all had coins made with their faces on them. All these conquerors created their empires through the sufferings of others. 
Jul 12
essay 1 comment challenge: Peace
AuctorHistoriarum's picture

Creating Peace In Our World

To understand what peace is, we must first know why hate exists. What is hate? Where do we learn it from? We are not born with hate, we learn it. As we get older we slowly process what is happening in the world. Parents and the adults around us help us understand some of the harsh realities of the world and they do this in small doses. Some of us are very lucky. We have loving parents and adults around us who model acceptance, compassion, and kindness. I believe we all have a moral compass, but our experiences throughout life can bury that compass. Hate accumulates in layers. If we do not have an adult to peel the layers off and to show us how to respond, the layers harden, and we lose the ability to show compassion, love and respect to another. If children are surrounded by adults who hate, be it about another’s religion, color, race, or culture, children imitate these values, beliefs, and behaviors without truly understanding why.