Madelyn's picture

Definition of Secret

The definition of secret is something that is kept or meant to be kept unknown or unseen by others. If you are told a secret it means you can’t tell anyone. Except you always tell your best friend. It doesn’t matter if it’s a small secret or a life changing, totally mind blowing, important secret. If you don’t tell your best friend, chances are you're not actually best friends. The problem is, if you tell them, it isn’t really a secret anymore. More like a concealed fact that only you two (and the secret teller) know. Of course, you could choose not to tell your best friend, but then what would you do? You can’t keep a secret to yourself, it’s not human nature. So, obviously, they should update the definition of secret.
poem 1 comment challenge: Sunset
Madelyn's picture

Sinking Away

The sky started pastel blue,
White clouds drifted by,
Peering through green branches,
Mountains faded ahead.

Crickets filled the air with noise,
They left no room for the other sounds,
The air was alive but still,
The sun fell behind treetops.

Pale orange streaked the sky,
Slowly, orange shifted to red,
And red faded to purple.
Darkness began to drift down.

The sun didn’t set a fire,
It left it’s colors quietly,
It sank into the darkness,
Sinking away as if underwater.

Madelyn's picture

Kristina's Party

“What are we going to do!? She is going to find out!”

“No she won't, we need to keep calm. Act natural.”

“Act natural? Act natural! We are so close and it’s all crumbling around us! All she has to do is ask Lola and-”

“We will have to get to Lola first. We just have to keep it a secret for a little bit. Everything is going to be fine.”

“I don’t think so, Lola can’t keep her mouth shut! For all we know she’s already spilled it. How did she even find out?”

‘I’m not sure, Nick could have leaked it to her. You know he has a crush on her.”

“Oh, why is this happening now!”

“It’s going to be ok.”

“We should never have trusted Nick! Of course he was going to tell Lola. The surprise is ruined!”

“It’s not ruined. She still doesn’t know about the party. We can tell Lola to keep quiet and it’s not really Nick’s fault. Everything is under control.”
Madelyn's picture

Alive

I feel alive when I walk outside in fall. When brightly colored leaves are falling all around me as the wind picks up. I feel alive when leaves crunch under my feet and I can smell the cold. You can smell the winter coming, the frozen water, the sparkling snow, and you can feel it moving toward you. But it isn’t here yet. Now you can still see the grass and the sun still feels warm. Fall is a perfect in-between season. Sweatshirts, pants and hats are being pulled from closets and drawers. You can’t leave the house without cozy socks on your feet. 

I feel alive when I walk outside in fall because I know summer is over, but winter can’t reach me yet.