Abby_C's picture

The Ship

Izzy and I race around the yard. It’s sundown and we are trying to catch lightning bugs. We race and tumble until we fall. We laugh and roll around until our sides hurt. Then we just lay there and look at the stars. We point out the constellations we know. Big Dipper, Little Dipper, and Ursa Major. We name stars after people we know. But then something catches our eye. It’s moving with blinking lights. It’s not an airplane. It’s the wrong shape and moving way too fast. As it crosses the sky in front of us, it leaves a white trail behind it. We use our phones to zoom into whatever it is. It’s a really weird shape. It’s like a pyramid with a cylinder attached to the bottom. Neither of us have ever seen anything like it. We stay in silence, not knowing what to say, and then there is a huge flash of light.
Abby_C's picture

Teleportation

Traveling is quite the hassle. Long hours in a constricting area, paying for gas, and the sheer exhaustion it brings. You would think that with today’s technology we would have an easier more efficient way of getting around. Maybe something a little faster. I think the ultimate goal should be teleportation. You could be around the world in seconds. You wouldn’t have to worry about gas money or airfares. You could go on a trip and not have to worry about booking a hotel, because you could just go home and then come back easily. For people who don’t have licenses it would be no problem to get around. It would also help save the climate by eliminating exhaust from cars. This invention would make life a lot easier, and would be worth trillions.

Abby_C's picture

The Carnival

It’s a windy fall day as I walk down the street on my way home from school. I look down after stepping onto something blowing in the wind. It’s a poster for a carnival. Covered in happy dancing clowns. Apparently, it’ll be in town tomorrow. My parents are out of town for the week, and I have nothing to do so I decide that I’ll go. I’ve never been to a carnival so I’m kind of excited. Little did I know that going would be the worst decision I’ve ever made. 
poem 0 comments challenge: Rainbow
Abby_C's picture

The end of the Rainbow

I walk for an hour and ½

The rainbow popped up after the rain 

And after something else…

I can’t remember

I’ve always wondered what is at the end

Most people say it doesn’t exist

Whatever it is I’m going to find it

I’m trying to stay in a straight line but it's hard

My head hurts with white hot pain

I don’t even know where I am

Then…

I stubble upon a clearing 

And in the middle

Is the end of the rainbow

In this clearing the sun is shining down

The birds are chirping

Flowers budding

I walk over to it 

I reach my hand out

All I feel is shimmering warmth

Then the world starts to spin

I  lay down in the rainbow

Surrounded by its warmth 

I wake up 

In a hospital

A doctor standing over me
poem 0 comments challenge: Shy
Abby_C's picture

its ok to be shy

I never raise my hand in class

I hide behind my book 

Sitting there staring at the ground

Trying to avoid everyone's gaze

Yes I have friends 

But none in my classes

I do talk 

just not around most people

I don’t know why

It’s not fear

I just don’t want to

It’s nice to be alone with the thoughts in my head

Some people think I’m weird

Or stupid

But I’m not 

I’m pretty normal

People can think I’m weird

But I know I’m not

All the important people know that I’m just quiet

It takes time to get to know me

I’m quiet

shy

And its ok

Abby_C's picture

Gratitiude

When asked that important question “what are you grateful for?” We all think of our families and our blessed lives. Which is good, we should be grateful for those things, but there is one thing we often take for granted. Our home. No I don’t mean our houses, I mean Earth. We never take the time to appreciate the place we have been given. The yummy foods it provides, the clean air, the rushing water, the beautiful sights, and other resources. It gives us a habitable home that is breathtakingly pretty. It gives us all these things with no charge. We never think to thank our home for everything it gives us. Instead we destroy it. We are killing the place that gives us life. We have taken its resources and used it against itself. We need to realize what we are doing to our home. We need to appreciate its amazing creatures and delicious foods. We need to stop harming the thing that is the source of our existence. I am grateful for our home, you should be too.
poem 0 comments challenge: Wind
Abby_C's picture

Gone Like The Wind

The branches of the old oak tree sway in the autumn breeze

One lonely brown leaf finally snaps and falls slowly down. 

As the wind picks up, the leaf drifts away. 

No control over the course it will take. 

It flies from one roof to another,

Only ever stopping for one minute.

Traveling freely.

Watching as other’s lives go on. 

This brown little leaf is carried hundreds of miles from where it started,

Until…

The breeze stops.

The leaf falls slowly down to the ground,

Where it stays.

More leaves pile on top.

Hundreds of people walk buy without a second glance.

Weeks later, the snow starts to fall.

The leaf is buried under a heavy blanket.

But it doesn’t realize it will never resurface. 

That it’s journey is over.

The feeling of flying is still prominent in it’s mind.
Abby_C's picture

nonverbal

The teacher seperated us again. By us, I mean my best friend and me. He did it because we wouldn’t stop talking, like always. But little does he know, it won’t stop us. We have ways of communicating. No it’s not sign language, and it’s not passing notes. We don’t even have to mouth the words. We use facial expressions and hand gestures, and we understand each other. Most best friends can relate. Here is how our conversation went. Katy rolled her eyes and scrunched her face which means “this is so dumb, we weren’t doing anything wrong.” I widen my eyes and shake my head “I know right, I hate this class.” Then I… well, this could go on for a while but I think you get it. We tell secrets and talk trash about people without the world knowing. It’s what makes our friendship unique and amazing.

Abby_C's picture

How we met

I’m in the airport, hundreds of people buzzing around me. I look at my ticket trying to figure out where I’m supposed to go. This day could not be anymore stressful. First, I forget my passport and have to drive all the way back home to get it. Then my suitcase busted open and all my clothes fell out, and now I’m lost. I’m about ready to lose my cool when someone bumps into me. It’s a woman and she turns around immediately apologizing. I tell her it’s all right and continue trying to figure out where I am supposed to be. The lady doesn’t leave though, she continues looking at me. Then finally she asks, “Are you alright?” She quickly adds “I know we are strangers, but you look stressed out. I’m Alice by the way”

“I’m Rose, now we aren’t strangers anymore.”

“yeah, so what’s wrong?”
poem 0 comments challenge: Burden
Abby_C's picture

Breath

One step after another.
I can’t… 
I can’t go on.
Can’t think
Can’t breath
Can’t see
All I see is black.
All I feel is a heavy weight.
Cinder blocks tied to my ankles.
Why did I do that?
How could I hurt them?
I tried to apologize
To make it better
But, It’s too late
Things can never be the same.
All trust is gone.
And for what?
I fall.
It feels like forever.
Falling into this deep dark hole that is my mind.
There is no living past this point
Life is over
I ruined everything.
But then…
I hear it.
Quiet at first.
But then louder and louder.
A familiar voice.
“I’m here. It’s ok. Breath.”
I run.
As fast as these leaden legs will go
towards the voice.