fiction 1 comment challenge: Starry
nfarnham's picture

The Cliff

I run through the woods, my hands trailing on the foliage along the sides of the packed down trail. The trail had been used by me, my mother, and her mother, and so on and on. It led to a small magical place where I felt safe. It was the most beautiful place on earth. The only place where I felt I couldn’t be touched. As I got to the end of the trail I slowed my pace to a walk. I took a few moments before the end of the trail to notice the bright white lily’s lining the sides of the trail. They were almost glowing against the dark green ferns. Little spots of magic. 

As I broke out of the woods I took in a deep breath and smelled the sweet salty air of the ocean. There it was. Everything I wanted. Just to stay here. There was a beach that raced for miles along the waterline. The giant rock that was pointed at the front, only a few shades darker than the sand. 
fiction 0 comments challenge: Humor
nfarnham's picture

Humor

If I could describe humor I would say humor is a quality that people have that makes them seem funny to other people. Humor is something people have that makes them a funny and lighthearted person. They are the kind of person that everyone likes being around. 

I think I would consider humor to be kind of a sense. Because not everyone has it. Some people get it naturally and others don’t. Humor is the ability to find something funny no matter the situation. 

Common sense I think is what you know is right and wrong. It’s almost like an instinct. You were born knowing how to do something or you know what the right thing to do is without having to have someone tell you how to do it. 

nfarnham's picture

The man with the Sign

I walked down the stone steps, my heels clicking against it. My paste pink dress swung gently back and forth because of the cool September wind. I stood at the bottom of the steps waiting for my little sister. She came jumping down the stairs. I held out my hand for hers and she smiled up at me. 

“Are we ready?” She asked excitedly.

“Yes,” I replied, smiling down at her. 

This was her first circus and I couldn’t wait to take her! Mom had made me wait until she was four. And the circus only comes twice a year. We strolled down the side of the street making our way through thick crowds of people that were in tents selling things to us. We just kept walking. Our goal was to get to the giant tent in the center of town. Eventually, we made it there. By now the sun was setting, casting a golden glow over everything. We stepped inside the tent and looked above us. It was huge and filled with hundreds of people. 
fiction 0 comments challenge: Mouse
nfarnham's picture

How We Lost

Just us. That was how it had always been. Seven of us mice living in an old house just outside of town. We had been there since before I could remember. Everything was perfect. We lived in quiet and peace. The house was cool and airy and the curtains that were never taken down were closed all the way but an inch at the bottom letting the tiniest bit of light in. Like I said. Perfect. 

Until one day. I had woken to the sound of a truck and talking people. I jumped up from my corner on the floor and ran to wake up the other mice. We all ran to the window and looked out. There was a young man and a lady. There was a moving truck and they were pulling things out from it and setting it on the lawn. The young lady was holding something wrapped in a light blue blanket. Oh no! It couldn’t be! It was a baby! I felt like fainting. Kids were the worst! And these new people living here we would have to do something about them. 
fiction 2 comments challenge: Shy
nfarnham's picture

Who I am

Shyness...It has always lurked around me. Surrounding me throughout my entire life. It had been there through the worst and best times. I’d always hoped it would go away but it never seemed to fade. It attracted unwanted behavior sometimes. Especially in middle school. In middle school when I was shorter than everyone and then picked on and I didn’t have the courage to speak up. But I knew what they said wasn’t true so I ignored them. High school was a little better but I ended up being the kid that sits alone and does school work during lunch. 
fiction 0 comments challenge: Reach
nfarnham's picture

I Could Have Reached Higher

I stood there at the end of the track where my mark was. I was waiting for my turn to jump. I was extremely nervous because I had failed to make the minimum jump previously. I looked down at my tape mark with my name on it. I knew I wasn’t a jumper but I had to try this at least before I could make any rash decisions. The person before me took her third and final jump. The director called my name. 

I shook out my body and took a deep breath. This was it I told myself. My final jump. The jump that was going to decide whether or not I would do long jump again or not. I rocked back on my heels and started to run forward. I hit my foot right in the mark and jumped up. I landed in the sand and looked back. I had failed the jump again. I thought I had jumped high enough but I didn’t. I sighed and looked around at the other girls who were jumping perfectly. If only I could reach a little farther...

nfarnham's picture

The Choice

The Choice
    I stood at the edge of the road thinking of which way I wanted to run home. Should I go the faster way or should I take the long way? I needed to get home soon and because tomorrow was a big day. But if I took the short way I wouldn’t have time to think. And what I needed was time. I needed more time. More time to decide on what to do. What if I made the wrong choice and lost what I wanted most? But could I honestly choose a boy over school? The best school in the entire world? I had wanted to go to Harvard since I was a little kid. It has been my dream school since I first started going to school. I had waited so long for this day. 
nfarnham's picture

15 Words

Describing myself in 15 words…
Chill

Outgoing

Caring

Loving

Smart

Funny

Independent

Sympathetic 

Understanding

Adventurous

Compassionate

Determined

Honest

Energetic

Generous

And that’s how I would describe myself in 15 words.

nfarnham's picture

Three Wishes

My wish for tomorrow is that they will find a cure for all diseases. That everyone will be healed. No one will die from diseases anymore. My wish for my 25th birthday is that all of the world problems will be solved. My last wish on my 50th birthday will be that I can be with my family in a house that I like.

nfarnham's picture

The Unspoken Words

I stood at the edge of the cliff looking down at him. I stared at him for a moment until it became uncomfortable and then looked away. We both knew what we had to do. It was the only option we had. The only one that would work. 

We both knew we couldn’t say a word because of what would happen. There were rules that were put in place to protect us from talking. To make plans with each other. To communicate at all with anyone. 

We looked at each other again and turned around and bolted to the door. We had to stop this and it had to stop now.