Brooke.agricola's picture

Issue challenge - climate change

“The planet's average surface temperature has risen about 1.62 degrees Fahrenheit (0.9 degrees Celsius) since the late 19th century”(NASA). Climate change has been going on for a long time but people have only become very aware of it in recent years. It started during the Industrial Revolution when fossil fuels became a big source of energy for us and it’s mainly caused by greenhouse gasses. Greenhouse gasses are warming the earth by trapping heat in our atmosphere, the greenhouse effect. Carbon dioxide is the greenhouse gas that people are most familiar with and it mostly comes from the burning of fossil fuels, which we have been doing since the 1800’s. 
Brooke.agricola's picture

I am From

I am from blankets

From Kleenex and NyQuil

I am from the warm and cozy room

(small, yellow, it smells of vanilla)

I am from pomegranate,

big, red, juicy, messy and staining everything 

I’m from LA trips and blue eyes

From Jenna and Helen 

I’m from the argumentative and stubborn,

From “Don’t go in those woods” and 

“Be nice to your siblings”

I’m from Hanukkah, burning candles, sharing bread

I’m from Massachusetts and Ohio and California,

Skyline chili, honey bunches of oats,

From the sleeping at great grandma's place, 

eating breakfast the next morning,

the playing dress up with sisters

I am from pictures on various shelves,

now in separate households

But still once my family
Brooke.agricola's picture

Leave people alone

Something that really bothers me and sometimes keeps me up at night is any and all social prejudice or inequalities. There are so many things that I think are wrong with our world at the moment and honestly, a lot of them don’t have much of a solution. One thing in particular that really bothers me is people’s inability to leave other people alone.

I, myself, don’t care who you are, what you are, or what you do, as long as you aren’t harming anyone else. Be whoever you want to be, be with who you want to be with, do what you want to do, etc.

For some reason lots of people cannot let other people do those things even if it has no effect on them whatsoever. I think it’s a big problem and it really bothers me when people hate on other people for no other reason than they are offended by their race, gender, sexuality or anything they can think of.