isaiahkol's picture

A Blip

When I was about eight years old, I started to hold onto almost every little broken electronic thing in my house. I saved everything from bug zappers to remote control cars. As long as it was broken and used electricity, I saved it. I kept them in a plastic bin that is about the size of a child size suitcase that, even now, is still full. That may not sound like much in the scheme of collections, but this one was only on the small side because most of the things that I kept were pretty small themselves. Unlike many other collections of things considered to be “junky,” I didn’t keep these things for the sole purpose of growing my collection. It’s not that I wanted to fix them either, and even if I did, I probably wouldn’t have been able to, considering just how broken most of the things were. I kept them for my curiosity; I would take the things I saved apart in order to feed my lifelong interest in the way things work.
isaiahkol's picture

Blanket of Leaves

It was fall, with Halloween just days away. It was a bit chaotic in the house since my parents were helping my little brother make his own Halloween costume for this year. I wanted a break, so I decided to take a walk. I chose to take a walk along the winding trail through the forest by my house. As soon as I opened the door, I noticed the leaves. They were everywhere. The ground had a blanket of leaves, covering the grass almost entirely. Many of the trees still had most of their leaves, but there were a few here and there that were completely bare. The beautiful mix of red, orange, and yellow contrasted nicely with the evergreen trees scattered among the others. The sky was a bright blue, and the air was crisp. Just before I reached the edge of the woods, a fall breeze hit my face. It was cold and refreshing, but not cold enough to bother me too much.