madeleineT's picture

The Lake

Beginning to a warm summer night, my friends and I climbed to the bow of the small speedboat. 

It was time to go tubing, one of my favorite activities at camp.

As the boat started moving, my hair was blowing in the wind, the water spraying in my face, and the sun was slowly starting to set.

The newest pop song was blasting through the speakers, causing the boat to vibrate and we screamed the lyrics through the loud engine and laughed as we could barely hear each other. 

Finally, it was time to get on the bright yellow tube. 

As we settled into our spots, I wrapped my fingers around the handles that were already digging into my palms, ready to go.

Suddenly, the boat flew toward and we jerked backward against the bouncy plastic.

I screamed in delight as my already damp hair was blowing in my face, making it hard to see. 

Still, I held my thumb up, signaling to go faster. 
poem 0 comments challenge: Seasonal
madeleineT's picture

What Fall Means to Me

What fall means to me is bright colors everywhere, with the turning leaves yellow, orange, red, and colored pumpkins, orange and white.
It’s picking the perfect pumpkin in the patch, to carve out into a silly face and put on display for the whole neighborhood to see. 
Fall to me is jumping in leaf piles and getting leaves stuck in my hair all day. It’s drinking warm apple cider, from freshly picked and pressed apples. 
It is the days getting shorter, frost starting to appear in the early mornings, and the promise of snow in the upcoming weeks.
Fall to me is baking apple muffins to go with chai tea on a chilly Sunday morning and spending the weekend outside, going hiking, exploring, and sitting around a camp-fire. 
What fall means to me is spending time with my family, taking in the season’s colors and warmth, and enjoying the last weeks before winter approaches.