A Little Quiet

It was one of those days. You know the ones- cold but not unpleasant, with nothing to do- chores all done, house tidy, should be content but too bored to be happy. I was sat in my reading corner beside the window as my mother walked in.
"I thought you were working today?"
she sighed. "Nope. I was kicked out of the project this morning-" 
"was it Linda?"
"- of course it was Linda," she rolled her eyes as she sat down next to me, "but it's been coming for a while. Don't worry too much though, something new will come up soon." She ruffled my hair and I batted her hands away. 
She was finding it more and more difficult to keep jobs, and I don't think she ever realised quite how much I noticed. Usually in these rare little moments with her I'd be trying to enjoy her company as much as possible, but the mood had been dampened and both of us were silent. 
“I love the light this time of day,” she said, trying to start a conversation.
"you do?"

Pug Dog

Ramblings

This isn't going to be very good. This is just something I need to get out, because if I can't be honest about myself in writing then I don't know who I am.
I don't know who I am.
I've lost myself. If you've read what I've previously written, you'll know that my heart was broken a while ago. Now I don't know who to be, what I'm supposed to do. She took that from me too. When I was with her I was the person she wanted me to be, but now... now I don't have to pretend like that anymore, and I need to find myself again.
I don't have many memories up until about two years ago. The memories I do have are fragmented and in the wrong order, and I don't feel like they belong to me. I feel like an impostor in my own life, like I have to be the girl my family knows because that's who they expect me to be but I'm not her. I'm not me. I'm not anyone.
fiction 0 comments challenge: Love

When Coira came ashore

Coira tasted of salt. Not just salt, but the smoky kind- almost like a bonfire on the beach. Siobhan loved tasting Coira’s seaside lips, even the sad goodbye kisses at the end of cosy evenings together in front of the fireplace in her living room. 

Out of place

Sometimes I really feel like I don't belong. A lot of the time, I'm just being silly, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm trying too hard in places I'm not supposed to be. This is a good example. I only really started writing as a hobby a couple of months ago, and already I'm posting my work as if I'm good enough to be among talented, experienced writers. I'm out of place and can't help worrying that this is all I'll ever do- try to get involved in things I don't have talent for. I find myself with many hobbies, but none I'm particularly good at- I'm mediocre in everything I try. 

I've never fit in, despite my best efforts. I'm an only child so I'm too young to belong with my family, yet I behave a lot more mature than my peers at school. I'm always in the middle, always not quite good yet not quite bad, always the odd one out.
I know this is a bit of a weird one, but I had to get it off my chest. 

The Lichen

Lichen grows in places with good air
fresh air
crisp air
it spreads quickly, covering branches

There used to be lichen in my heart
from happiness 
from love
it spread through my body, proving my contentment 

now there is none 

The Market

This is a piece I wrote for an English task today, and I thought I'd share it with you

Warmth.
That’s the first thing I noticed. A wave of warmth smacking me right in the face. Upon further inspection, I realised the heat was coming from one of the market stalls to my left- the woman running it had opened the small oven to check on the fresh loaves she was baking. It was mid-afternoon in early September, so the air had a crisp bite; inviting butchers to display large cuts of meat at their stalls without having to worry about heat turning them rancid. I was amongst the food stalls- some selling home-grown vegetables and others selling eggs and fish. While this wasn’t my desired destination, I did find myself stopping to buy a couple of cheese pastries for myself and my mother to have for lunch when I got home. 
poem 2 comments challenge: Tone

Salt and Honey

Salt and honey
They don't mix, I know that now
Silky sweet with crystal dry
I'm sorry for thinking we would work

Salt and honey
Your sugary tendrils made me dissolve
Now I am nothing, you leave me alone
I wish I could forget you
I wish we never met

If I Could

If I could live the same day over and over, I'd relive the day that She took me to the forest. I arrived at her house, and in trying to avoid being asked awkward questions by her mum, we were out of the door almost instantly. Hands interlocked, we walked down streets I'd never passed before but she knew like the back of her hand, until we went by some fields and stopped for a few minutes of light kisses and shared giggles. We couldn't stay there long, as She had a destination in mind and it was quite a distance away, so reluctantly I got up and we continued walking. We ended up by the forest, and getting there took over an hour. It was very much worth it though, as we found a secluded area hidden by trees where we snuggled and talked and kissed and cuddled for hours and hours. I remember looking at her face, the way her blue eyes locked with mine.

Perfume Box