What Happened to the Princess?

“I, Queen Isabelle; declare Princess Amelia and Prince Landon, Married!”

The whole nation probably read that and were happy but that was the worst day of my life. I married a man who didn’t love me. 

As soon as Landon and I got married I was forced into an etiquette class and learned how to be the future Queen of the nation. It all went smoothly until the people started asking for more interactions between the crowned prince and princess. I knew throughout our marriage Landon despised me. 

“Amelia, when will you finish getting ready?” I heard Landon say through the door. My maid was finishing brushing my long blonde hair, putting in the perfect headpiece so I wouldn't get slandered by the public. When I walked out, Landon didn't even look at me, already walking away.” I couldn't help but feel a bit sad.

We entered the carriage and started making our way to the ball when the prince finally acknowledged me. 

“Remember to not embarrass me, especially since you tend to only do what others tell you. Remember our positions are as royals and don't slump to the standards of the common people.” I nodded my head in response because I knew it would be a bad idea to utter a word to the prince. As soon as we got to the Viscount’s ball, I could tell Landon was disgusted by me. He never looked at me once while walking into the ballroom. I walked down the stairs in my lucious, silk blue gown, which was custom made for this occasion. As the ball went on, I sat on the sidelines beside Landon, I had no idea why he didn't want to dance. Maybe I was embarrassing him considering I usually do, so as soon as I had the opportunity I excused myself and went outside for a short walk. It was always comforting being outside and feeling the fresh air on my skin. It helped me clear my mind of the hell of being imprisoned in the palace. I was enjoying my time until a figure came up to me, “Amelia we need to go inside now.” Landon whispered angrily before dragging me inside. Obviously I didn't say anything; I was too naive at the time. I went back inside with him and watched as he said his goodbyes to everyone. When we returned to the palace is when things got bad. “Amelia I’ve been watching you all night - as expected from me -, I just wanted you to know I trust you. I need you to be by my side more.”

This was so out of the blue it left me speechless. I accepted, it would be tough working with my enemy but the benefits were worth it. I worked day and night, fulfilling Landon’s needs, and it worked out. I got attention in response, Landon brought me to more events and included me in more official meetings, I started to feel wanted. I adapted to this new way of living quickly, but I should’ve known Landon was trying to destroy me. He brought in another woman, at first I thought she was a lover, but after a brief introduction Landon revealed she was a new maid.  Usually I wouldn’t be bothered by a maid, after all, they were in the shadows, but she was different. Smart, almost too smart to be a peasant. Her name was Chloe, the complete opposite of me in terms of appearance, but I could sense we shared similar personalities. After seeing her for the first time, I didn't bat an eye, but she wouldn't leave my mind, something was up with her and I needed to figure it out. Before I was about to go to sleep, the door cracked open. I thought it would be Landon, maybe coming to give me the last of my reports, but no, it was Chloe. 

Later in the evening, right as i was about to go to sleep. Chloe proceeded to walk up to my bed, I felt her hot breath fanning on my skin as she whispered, “Landon is out to kill you, and I’m in charge of that.” And then she left. That night I couldn't sleep, everything between Landon and I was over. I could never trust him again, especially after what Chloe told me about. She could've been bluffing of course, but I chose to believe her. I should've known Landon liking me was too good to be true. I honestly wish that man would die. 

I spent the next few months wondering when the end of my life would arrive, I had to be extremely cautious. I tried to avoid Landon and when I was taking my daily walk outside an idea hit me. 

Why don't I kill Landon before he can kill me? 

It was genius and I built up our trust enough so he wouldn't be suspicious if I was around him for long amounts of time. I became manic. I thought of multiple ways to end his life but I wasn’t athletic enough to do this myself. I had to find someone to do it for me, Chloe would be perfect. I rushed inside the castle, attempting to find her, and when I finally did I told her of my plans, “Chloe I know this might be hard for you but, would you be willing to muder the soon-to-be- king?” I asked with a smirk on my face.

“No can do princess, I don't kill royals.” Chloe responded. That confused me, wasnt she going to end my life?

“What do you mean? The first day, you came into my room and you said you were going to end my life?”

“Yes, but not of this nation. You're an outsider and the prince himself asked me to get rid of you.” Chloe said.

“Chloe, please, I’ll double the amount he gave you and when he dies I'll give you a title.” I said in desperation. Chloe looked back at me and nodded intensely, with a serious tone she said, “He’ll be gone in 48 hours.” 
I spent those 48 hours ecstatic, my enemy would finally be gone. I still had to remain calm and composed because I couldn’t risk getting caught. I was going to inherit everything. Landon’s pathetic little  life would be over, all because of me.

When the day came I woke up, bright and early just so Landon could spend his last moments with me, the person he has hated since we were married. In the hallway, I saw Chloe and spoke to her, 

“well todays the day Chloe, I hope you're ready because I won’t accept mistakes, I want him to be dead today by five, preferably in front of me.”

Chloe nodded back in response and went on with her day and I did the same. The time finally came, and I went outside to the pavilion to join Landon for tea. Chloe was there and I could see the apprehension in her eyes. She approached Landon and stabbed him with a knife hidden behind her back, right in the heart, his shocked face burned itself into my memory. I got up and squatted to the floor where he was bleeding out, said, “A word of advice: don’t plot a murder against your wife. See you in the afterlife darling.” I got back up and sat down in my seat. A joyful expression was displayed on my face. When a jolt of pain hit my heart. I looked around my surroundings and realized only Chloe was there, and then it all clicked. The pain was from poison in the tea, she double crossed me. With all the force left in my body I got up and approached her, all I could mutter was, “I trusted you.” Those were my last words before my heart stopped shortly after. 

Chloe made it so I would see my husband in hell sooner rather than later.

sofilaha

NC