The New World

The last bastion of humanity’s  hope soars through the vastness of space, neon lights flickering. The engine sputters as the ship spirals towards a colossal planet. It floats past the shimmering ring that surrounds the planet. The ship slices through the planet's atmosphere, as it’s engulfed in flame. The ship smashes into the planet's surface, leaving a massive crater in its wake, the very surface of the planet, crumbling. Three people in sleek, white and gray space suits clamber through the smoking remains of the dilapidated ship, pushing smoldering metal plates and shattered computers out of their way. They walk out into the New World, as the glorious light of the planet’s baby blue sun reflects on their visors. They look out at the vast world that lay before them and gather their supplies. Surrounding them is a deep forest of tangled alien foliage, it’s smooth and it slithers and pulses as if it is living. Giant spiral shaped stone towers, with water running down them scraped the deep purple sky. The group of astronauts prepare and trek out into this unknown planet. They go from the tangled woods into a deep cave, lit only by  blue crystals with a ghostly air to them, monstrous, sharp toothed, horned faces appearing on them for mere moments. The cave leads the group to a giant ravine  with purple water flowing up on the sides of it. The group swims up the gravity defying  water as eight legged, snake-like creatures crawl around the ravine. The group emerged at the base of one of the stone towers. They follow a purple river through a field of strange, impossibly soft, cushion-like flowers. Ahead of them lies a massive, pyramid-like mountain with water going up all sides of it, meeting at a grand oasis sat atop it . The group sprints towards the mountain as they realize the flowers are slowly dragging them underground with their vines. They escape the fearsome fauna and begin their slow hike up the mountain. They’re so close to the top, and they’re exhausted. They barely drag themselves to the top, taking a moment to  rest and take in the new world of endless danger and  equally endless possibilities they’ve found themselves in. Then… at that exact moment, after their long, hard fought journey of exploration and discovery… they saw it. A towering, sharp toothed winged eel, rises from a lake. It’s entirely transparent, but it's lit up by the light of the blue sun. Thousands of  shining, glossy buildings are coiled around the creature. The beast slowly soars towards them, approaching them. There was a flash of light, and  they were gone. 

Thetford Academy

More by Thetford Academy