Element World | Chapters 4-6

Chapter 4

El smiles at us. “Who wants to go next?” she asks. 

“Where-where did she go?” Emma asks, her voice cracking. 

“She’ll be alright! Just the shock. It is a pretty scary slide!” El says. I shudder. Was El lying? Telling the truth? Is El going to be the villain in my story?

“You sure? Because George is never quiet…” I say, brushing away my thoughts as I lean on the wooden fencing. El ignores this.

“Who’s next?” She asks like I didn’t say anything. Weird. There’s something...Off about El. 

“Me,” Emma says without hesitation. “I need to go find George.” 

“Alright!” El says. “Sit down!” Harley, Everleigh, and I watch as Emma is pushed down. She screams, then stops.

“Not again…” Everleigh starts.” But then I hear Emma’s voice.

“Guys, it just got chilly!” she says. Then she screams again. And like George, the screaming suddenly stops.

“What is happening?” Everleigh whispers.

Chapter 5

“I’m going to next,” Harley says, bravely stepping forward. 

“Harley,” I say. “Be careful.”

“She’ll be alright!” says El cheerfully. Harley sits down and El gives her a push. A couple of seconds later, Harley lets out a shriek and gasps. “It just got wet!” She yells. “What is that? Oh my Go-” Her voice stops. I grip Everleigh’s hand and she squeezes it. 

“I’ll go now,” I say, sitting on the slide. 

“Anabelle…” Everleigh starts.

“I’ll be fine. I don’t know what is going to happen to me, but you have come down. Be brave.”

“Okay…” Everleigh says. El smiles. 

“Ready?” She asks.

“I guess…?” I say. El gives me a big push, and I shoot down the slide. I twist into the red one, and then I feel a warmth wash over my body. “Woah. It just got warm.” I mutter. The slide makes a stomach-clenching twist and I scream. 

“ANABELLE!” Everleigh shrieks. 

“I’m okay! I’m okay!” And then I’m launched into a red mist.

Chapter 6

“Anabelle! Thank goodness!” Emma says, running over to me. I fall on my side, and the floor must be stone, because it hurts quite a lot. What has she done with us? Where are we?

“Is Everleigh coming?” George asks, as I stand up, glaring. 

“Yeah, she should be. Where are we?” I ask. We all stand in a place that has a mist of red, green, blue, and purple, and a frostier blue. It’s a large bare room, and there’s so much mist, I can’t

see the walls. I’m not even sure where it starts and where it ends. The only thing that gives away the entrance is the black hole, floating just above the ground. 

“I’m not sure,” Harley says. Just then, Everleigh comes shooting out the tunnel. She lands on the ground and gets up. 

“Where are we? We aren’t at that place anymore.” She says.

“I don’t know,” I say. Then El comes shooting through the mist. But, she looks different. She is wearing a yellow, flowy dress decorated with flowers. From her earrings dangles a sun, and she wears a big golden crown. 

She bows to us and says, “Welcome. Queen Georgia, Queen Emma, Queen Anabelle, Queen Harley, and Queen Everleigh.” 

“Queen?” George echoes. We all shoot each other confused looks. Then George scowls. “I don’t go by Georgia, I go by George,” she says irritably. 

El smiles. “My apologies,” she says, bowing again. 

“Um, El?” Everleigh says.

“Yeah?” Everleigh opens her mouth, but I start talking.

“What is this place, and why exactly are you calling us queens?” I narrow my eyes. . 

“Ahh,” El says. She waves her hands and a couch appears. “Come sit,” she says, beckoning to us to sit down. I come to sit down next to George and Harley. “When Harley bought those tickets, I saw something in Harley. A queen. I knew that the rest of you would be queens too, when I saw Harley get more tickets. So I gave your friend tickets to that slide- The Slide Of Elements,” El says. George opens her mouth, but Emma shushes her before she starts to babble. The Slide Of Elements? What could that mean? I sit back on the couch, as El continues. “That slide chooses your element. And the element that the slide chooses, you are the queen of.” El says. “I am Queen El, Queen of the Sun,” she says, glancing around at us. Well...This is very interesting...Very exciting...And very odd. Well, I guess I could use a break from my everyday life. And being a queen sounds fascinating...

“So, who’s the queen of what element?” I ask. El stands up. 

“Anabelle. The slide sent you shooting down the red one, yes?” El asks. I nod. “You felt warmth, right?” I nod. Fire. “That makes you fire,” El says. I smile. Of course, I’m fire, I took so many personality tests about elements, and I always get fire, except for the occasional earth. “Everleigh. You shot down the green slide. You could hear the birds singing inside your head. That makes you-”

“Earth,” Everleigh finishes. Everleigh was the perfect one to be Earth. She was always so gentle around nature, careful not to step on a pretty flower that was noticed. In fact, she could pass as mother nature.

“Harley, you felt water on your slide, and you were sent down the blue slide. You are water,” El says. So that’s why El said ‘hope you brought your bathing suit’.

“YES!” Harley says, pumping her fist in the air. El smiles. Harley will make a great water queen. Why would she be picked to be queen if she didn’t jump in freezing cold pools in the fall? Or swim in lakes on the coldest days?

“George, you were sent down the purple slide.”

“Yep!” George says. “I felt a breeze, that means I am air!” George says. Well, there isn’t much to explain. George wants to fly someday. 

“Right you are!” El says. “And Emma, you were shot down that pale blue slide, and you felt a chill, making you ice,” El says. Emma was perfect to be ice. She loved winter so much and was always sad when spring finally came. She very much enjoyed building snowmen- particularly ones that took weeks of recess to build- rolling the biggest balls of snow. 

“Wow,” Harley whispers. “We’re queens!” She says, her mouth dropping open. George frowns.

“Well, we sure don’t look like queens!” She says, putting her hands on her hips, glancing down at her ripped jeans. I laugh, along with everyone else. It’s true. I wonder what El will do. 

“Yes, good point, George,” El says. She snaps her fingers and we are in a giant closet. My mouth drops open. 

“Woah,” I whisper.

BookCat

More by BookCat

• By BookCat

Element World | Chapters 33-35

Chapter 33

I run over to Sequoia, who, other than a few scratches, looks fine. Ash, on the other hand, has a steady flow of blood dripping from her neck, and the other dragons are fine. 
  • By BookCat

Roses

Bloodred roses
    Swaying in the breeze
    Petals shimmering
    So at ease

But while they are pretty
    Adorned with thorns
    The roses remind us
    Don't touch what's not yours