Snow Day

School just ended, Teddy, my best friend, and I walk through the halls to the bus. Kids are bumping into each other racing to the buses, there is lots of talking and excitement that the day is over, especially with the chance that there is no school tomorrow. There is already a few inches on the ground. 
    “There is no way we have school tomorrow,” I said.
    “I hope we don't, I really want to try that new ski trick that I have been talking about,” Teddy responded. 
    “As long as it keeps snowing like this then you will definitely be able to do it.”
    We have been skiing together since we were little kids, and Teddy has been saying he would do this trick for the past few years. With all this snow I hope he finally tries it. We get onto the bus and take a seat, and Teddy is coming over to my house so that we can go up to the mountain with each other in the morning.
    “I’m going to call my dad to see if he picked up your gear from your house,” I said.
Ring Ring.
“Hey, did you pick up his gear?” I asked my dad
“Yes, I am on my way home now,” He replied. 
My house is the very last stop, and it takes an hour to get there with all the snow we have gotten. Finally, we made it to my bus stop. We jumped out of the bus into the snow, puffing it up. While walking through the knee-high snow, a big plow truck drives by and shoots up a bunch of snow into us; leaving us cold and covered in snow. We make it to the house and put our school bags inside, and eat a quick snack. After we are done eating our snack, we get ready to go outside. We put on our snow pants, coat and ski boots and head out.                    
    “Time to go learn some new tricks,” Teddy said, his words making a cloud.
    We throw our skis onto the deck and get the rakes and shovels to make the jumps ready to use. We will probably be doing this all night, or until my parents yell at us to come inside. The jumps and rails are ready to hit, and I drop in for the first hit. I hit the down-rail on the left side and just did a simple slide on it. Next drop, Teddy, he hits the jump, which is in the middle, and does a 360.  
    “Should I try the backflip off of this jump?” Teddy asked.
    “If you feel confident enough, but I would wait until tomorrow where there is a bigger jump.”
    “Ok, I think I will just do it tomorrow.”  
    We ski in the backyard for a few more hours then head inside to go to bed. 
Waking up early in the morning to the smell of french toast and bacon at around 6:30 A.M. 
    “My dad is making french toast, no school!”
We hurry upstairs to eat breakfast, before going to the mountain. The snow on the ground has doubled overnight, and it is now well over our knees, making it perfect for Teddy’s new trick
    “You better do your trick today, you don’t have any excuses.” I said to him. 
    “Nothing will stop me from doing it.” 
I’m going to do everything I can to help him build up the confidence to finally complete his goal.
    We finish eating our food, and get all of our stuff into the car. I hop into the driver's seat and turn the keys. 
    Putt. Putt. Putt.
I turn the keys again.
    Putt. Putt. Putt. 
    “Come on,” I yelled, banging the steering and threw my mittens onto the dashboard. 
    Teddy and I step out of the car and start working on it, and him being super into cars he will be able to fix it.
    “It's just the battery, go get your dad's car and a set of jumper cables.” 
    I got both of them for him and parked my dad's car right next to mine. Teddy is able to get the car running, and we head to the mountain. The snow has started to die down, and the clouds are slowly drifting away. 
    “We have arrived,” I said.
    The snow is glistening, and the sun is revealing itself over the mountain. We get our ski boots and skis on and head to the chairlift.
    On the way up the lift we scope out lines that we are going to take today, and the snow is fluffy and soft, perfect to learn a new trick. 
    “We need to be safe, this type of snow is what causes avalanches,” I said.
    “We will be fine, we can out ski an avalanche,” Teddy responded.
    “Whatever you say.”
    We went down for our first run.
    “This is the day, the day that I finally land my trick.” Teddy said.
    “I can’t wait, let me know if you need any tips.” 
    We do a few practice runs, hitting the jump that he is going to do the trick off of. The run before he wants to do it, I make sure to get him ready and focused on the lift ride up. I make sure that he is calm, and knows what he is doing so that there are no mistakes to be made.
    “I think you are ready.” I said to him,
    “I am. I would’ve never been able to do this without you Max.” 
    I go down to the jump and signal to him that it is good to go. He approaches the jump, bends his knees, jumps up, leans backwards, goes upside down, and lands it perfectly. 
    “Yes! You did it!.” I throw my poles into the air and ski down to him. 
    He is smiling from cheek to cheek, and comes up to me and gives me a hug. 
    “Thank you for helping me do this.” He said to me.
    He did it, he finally completed his goal.

dylanaker