The wonders of having a cat

Now and then, I am struck with the epiphany that I am not the only consciousness in this world. This realization does not come when I talk with other people, but rather when I am with an animal.

It happens most often with my cat, and I am always amazed by the realization that he is right here, in this moment, with me.

Our interactions are somewhat peculiar. He refuses to sit on my lap, and barely tolerates being held. But if he is lying on my bed, and I lie down next to him, he becomes incredibly friendly. He will get up, and start rubbing his face against mine, purring loudly. After several minutes of this, he will lie down next to me, and I have the privilege of watching him.

The level of detail and similarity is astonishing. The fur on his face is soft and fine, with intricate patterns on his nose and under his eyes, which are not a solid color. They are green, unevenly tinted with copper, and remarkably similar to mine. And when he yawns and closes his eyes, I yawn too, and lay my head down next to his. I know this moment will not last. Eventually, he will grow bored of sitting next to me, and wander off to find somewhere else to sleep.

But I know this will happen again. I’ll come into my room to find him on my bed, and I’ll lie down, both of us enjoying each other’s company without needing to say anything. In a time when I am always rushing to finish an old thing, or start a new thing, these are wonderful moments, that make me feel as though I have all the time in the world to just exist, right here.

Opax

More by Opax

• By Opax

Apples

Your leaf is the color of the clovers that cover my lawn
    The same shape as the parabolas I see in math
    Your fruit is the size of the ball of yarn on my desk
    The same color as the blood that falls from my skin