Winter in Vermont

It's Friday, at midnight, we get dumped with snow, and I’m kind of upset. Me and my brother walked upstairs to ask my dad if we could please go skiing. He gives us a chore to shovel the driveway and when we’re done, it's ten past two we race inside to get my dad, but all we find is snoring Z’s from way upstairs, so we give up on skiing today.  It's Sunday and It's snowing. The next day I open the door and there’s snow up to my knees. I know school is canceled, so I go outside. I ask my dad if he could go skiing with me. Now that there’s two feet of snow, all I get in response is, “my knees.” 

It's a week later now on Christmas Eve and I go to sleep, with a trick up my sleeve. This year I know I'll catch him. I go downstairs and hide under the table. It's 6 am and I’ve fallen asleep. I open my presents with ma and pa as my brother and sister watch me. 

It's New Year's Eve and my dad refuses to go skiing with me. Then it's New Year’s Day, such a wonderful day, but I guess not this one as it pours down rain drops. It’s the next week and everywhere you walk, your foot will break through, about an inch of ice. 

It's the weekend now and I feel great, so I ask my dad, “Could you go skiing with me?” and for the first time in one million years, I get an answer that pleases me. We get to the Skiway where it says “Big Green.” We go up the chair and get to the top, where I tell my dad such a mean thing: “could you, just try to keep up with me.” We get home from skiing and plop on the couch. We find a good movie and watch it till we can’t keep our eyes open. So we say goodnight.

Thetford Academy

YWP Instructor

More by Thetford Academy