Oak Tree

I walked past a crumbling stone wall; it was covered in moss, and acorn shells littered between the rocks showed that squirrels had once been there. The stone wall ended, leaving a gap between where the wall would start up again. I walked through the gap, following the path that had been made by the numerous times animals had trampled on the tall grass to get to the other side of the field.

I followed the path, feeling the grass graze against my legs. I kept my head down low, not wanting to see what was ahead before I reached my destination. I knew what was ahead; I had come to this spot time and time again, but I kept my head low anyways, navigating my way through the tall grass and chirping crickets. I reached the clearing on the other side of the field.

I walked through the clearing to the large lone oak tree that towered over everything around it. Standing on the crate set below the tree, I jumped up, grabbing the large branch above me that’s bark had been worn down from years of being rubbed against. I made my way up to the middle of the tree, sitting down on a large branch, laying my back against the trunk. I looked out from the branch, over the rock ledge that led to the body of water below. 

Being at this place is a normal occurrence, but today, it felt different. Today, as the sun set behind the lake, and the fish made ripples in the water, I finally understood. For the first time, I was beginning to understand what life is all about.

Ada123

More by Ada123

• Darkness

The darkness can be black, blue, purple. It can be a place, it can be a feeling. It can be scary, it can be mysterious, it can even be inviting in a strange way.
  • Empty

Empty.

Everything is empty.

A woman sits on a tall rock,

Waiting for the sun to rise.

Empty.

She walks along the shoreline,

She sees the waves wash over her feet,

But she can not feel it.
  • I Feel Alive

I feel alive when I can feel the wind blowing through my hair. When I can hear the birds chirping and the streams running. I feel alive when I see all the leaves changing color around me, a way of nature telling us that winter is on its way.