Blanket of Leaves

It was fall, with Halloween just days away. It was a bit chaotic in the house since my parents were helping my little brother make his own Halloween costume for this year. I wanted a break, so I decided to take a walk. I chose to take a walk along the winding trail through the forest by my house. As soon as I opened the door, I noticed the leaves. They were everywhere. The ground had a blanket of leaves, covering the grass almost entirely. Many of the trees still had most of their leaves, but there were a few here and there that were completely bare. The beautiful mix of red, orange, and yellow contrasted nicely with the evergreen trees scattered among the others. The sky was a bright blue, and the air was crisp. Just before I reached the edge of the woods, a fall breeze hit my face. It was cold and refreshing, but not cold enough to bother me too much. As I started the trail, all the sounds of my house faded until all I could hear was the peaceful sound of the breeze through the trees and the rustling of animals in the leaves. I walked that trail for a while. I had left in the late afternoon, but since it was fall, the light in the forest began to fade earlier than I expected. I decided to turn around and head back home. I walked and walked, and it soon became dark. I had forgotten a flashlight, but thankfully the moon rose almost full and bright above me, lighting my way. I reached the edge of the woods and began to trudge through the leaves towards my house, pausing only briefly to admire the stars. Finally, I reached my house and walked past the two pumpkins on my porch, just waiting to be carved, and stepped inside.

isaiahkol

More by isaiahkol

• A Blip

When I was about eight years old, I started to hold onto almost every little broken electronic thing in my house. I saved everything from bug zappers to remote control cars. As long as it was broken and used electricity, I saved it.