Convenience Store of Dreams

I always dream about the same convenience store. It’s a sort of mental CVS, large and bright white. I once met Lin Manuel Miranda in it near the children’s jewelry section. I don’t know what that says about me or about him, but it definitely says something about both of us. 
I was once looking for a cookie and cream Hershey’s bar in this convenience store of dreams, which is funny because I was looking for that in real life too. Anyways, I was desperately searching for it and that was pretty weird. I was frantic and growing frustrated looking for this chocolate bar and the issue is, I don’t remember whether I found it or not! I hope I did, because I can’t find it in the real life grocery store no matter how hard I look. 
I keep coming back to the convenience store ,this intersection of dreaming and waking, this panacopia, cornucopia of pills and rubber bands, and it’s somehow every place I'vve ever been and no place at all. It’s some sort of hallway of humanity. I like to think anything is possible there and that everyone goes there at some point. I guess it must be a metaphor or something, but I’m not sure for what. I think I could meet anyone here, talk to anyone, even Lin Manuel Miranda. I like to think we were both sleeping at the same time and found ourselves in the same place. I like to think a lot of things.

roxyforthewin

MA

More by roxyforthewin

• Loon Song

Author's note: I recently found out that a school that I loved sold their camp in the Adirondacks, where I have many fond memories. This grief inspired some writing, which I have posted below. 

• Bells

Once, on a fine September Tuesday when the air was bright and clear, every bell in the world rang at once. They didn’t play a song. There was no melody. Just one collective ring.