i've never seen forever

The other was perched ever-so-elegantly upon intricately embroidered pillows and cushions, a novel from the bookshelf blessed by their selection, and a warm fire burning beside them, illuminating the inked patterns which kept languor at bay. Their hungry eyes ravaged the pages of the book, moving back and forth across the delicate sheets. Unbeknownst to them, their lover habitually admired them from across the chambers, wholly distracted from their writings.

The lover sighed, resting their chin in their hand, merely watching the ethereal creature across the room. The orange light of the fire served to highlight the other’s beautiful visage, but the flames didn’t dare to compete with the other’s stunning eyes. Everything about the other was incredible: Their mind, their soul, their body...

To them, the other’s beauty was unmatched by any man or woman of any world. The other could easily have an unlimited selection of partners to seek company with, but instead, the other had only sought out one companion: Them.

‘I am theirs, and they are mine,’ They reminded themself proudly. The most exquisite jewel of the universe loved them and only them.

Instantly, they hated the wooden table at which they were sat and hated the work they were doing. Putting the pen down, and setting the notebook to the side of the desk, they escaped from their previous activity, preferring to be captive in the other’s embrace.

Their love had spent years in waiting: Surely, a simple journal entry could wait another night. Standing from the chair where they had spent nearly hours, they stretched and made their way over to the epitome of beauty. They almost surprised that the sound of their feet padding on the stone hadn’t pulled the other from the tale in which he was enveloped. The other remained undisturbed, lying comfortably on their side across the couch.

Standing before their lover, they couldn’t help the pang of envy towards the book held gently in the other’s slender hands. They wanted their face to be held, by those deft hands; their form to be looked over by the keen eyes….Without hesitation, they took the book from the other’s hands, marked the page, set it aside, and climbed onto the sofa, inserting themself in the other’s arms.

The other made no move to resist, no sound to complain, just smiling as they welcomed them into an embrace.

They lay their head against the other’s chest: Listening to the heartbeat which sped up ever-slightly. They let themself ride the waves of the other’s breath: Finding it just as soothing as the light of the sun washing over them. They took in the other’s scent: Spices and ash, a pleasant mix that always calmed their nerves. They drank the sound of the other’s hums: The sensual voice always brought a smile to their face. They reveled in the feeling of the other’s hands roaming over their back: Their lover’s touch left shivers in its wake. After taking the solace the other always gave them, he craned their neck to reach for a different embrace.

They kissed the other: A small peck, then pulled back to admire the godly face. They kissed their lover again, loving the feel and taste of their lips against their own. They kissed again and again, pulling each other closer and closer and enjoying the bliss.

It didn’t need to be said, but the words passed from the one’s lips to the other’s ears: “I love you.”

the morose writer

NY

More by the morose writer