Coffee Covered Glasses

I looked like a puppy as I waited for my friend to arrive. Standing by the window, too alert for a Friday morning, trying to listen and watch and check my phone all at the same time. Its been 4 months and 12 days since I last looked into her face. Her actual face, not the computer screen. I was slightly nervous. What if things have changed since we last saw it other? What if her interests have changed, her taste in food shifted, her personality morphed like a butterfly. While I was still stuck as a caterpillar.
A blue car finally appeared and parked outside. I might have stubbed my toe as I ran to the door to greet her, then ran inside to hide and surprise her, then run to the door again. I was a mess, I’ll admit it, but in the best way possible.
I Finally flung open the door and stared through the screen at a much taller, more disheveled version of my friend, her back to me, talking to her mom from the car. She hadn't spotted me yet. She looked a little different. She had coffee. Different glasses. Different person?
I stood at the screen door a moment, contemplating how to make my post quarantine impression to what might be a true imposter. Only one way to find out.
BOO! I yelled, and smacked my hands on the mesh of the glass, the metallic quiver louder than I expected. The whole neighborhood probably heard it. She jumped. She squealed. Her coffee lept out of her cup and her glasses fell of her nose. She turned to me, completely shocked.
What a great impression.
Then she laughed. A huge laugh. That made me laugh, and made her laugh at my laugh and I laughed at her laughing at me. And we laughed at our parents who didn’t understand why there was coffee everywhere and laughed in general because we could laugh and it felt good to laugh with someone once again
Yes. She might have changed a little. But nope, she was still my very amazing friend.

Treblemaker

NY

YWP Alumni Advisor

More by Treblemaker