The Storm Inside

The Storm Inside

Before the storm,

I see the darkness,

an ominous silhouette on the horizon.

I feel the wind, making the trees sway from side to side,

a gusty swoop of exhilaration.

A Phoebe bird in a willow tree, as the storm ruffles her soft feathers. 

The storm is outside, but it is inside of me-

the thrill of lightning, the rumble of thunder.

I step, barefooted into the soft grass, surrounded by trees.

I feel the wind blow my hair behind me, 

feel the first drops of rain coming down, as I raise my hands to meet them.

The lightning is reflected in my eyes, 

the thunder in my heartbeat, my words.

Because in every seemingly perfect sunny day, 

there is a storm waiting to show the world its worth.

clearyj

wildcat

The Voice

August 2023

• Camp Memories

When packing up to go home  Don’t forget to pack your memories  If you lose them  The way that you remembered them is forever gone  Keep them safe  and wrap them with a pretty silk bow  Don't be scare...

• Organized Yet Abstract

A streak of gray rushes to the sky, Soaring and arching, Up, up, up. A thin line of smoke is left behind, A trail of the firework's journey. It begins to ark, The parabola beginning to be graphed, Som...

• The River Speaks

There is a web and it holds us. Pieces come apart so we help rebuild it. We are a species that has forgotten our place on the web, so the earth reminds us. It shows us that there are some lines that w...

• Photography

Photos; they capture memories, moments, too, that you cherish, keeping them preserved forever. A fond moment stuck in time? Now stuck in colorful ink on paper. A memory you’ll soon forget? Months, yea...

• Wistful Words

Poetry used to fall from my earthy lips like flowers. My words were lightning My hands thunder My tears like glass and waterfalls Falling heavily onto each chalky page. But now my tears are salt And t...

• Photography

• Jasmine + Azalea

Our lips are made of daisiesand our cheeks are strewn in roses,pressed to opaque lilac air,knotted fingertips brushingblooming beams of naked feuillage,buds drafted in sunlight, weldedin his blurry ha...

• The Storm Inside

Before the storm,I see the darkness,an ominous silhouette on the horizon.I feel the wind, making the trees sway from side to side,a gusty swoop of exhilaration. A Phoebe bird in a willow tree, as the...

• to be a person.

i. i feel like time is dragging me along by the hand the way a mother tugs her child to preschool/ but instead of kicking and flailing and screaming i am numb to the days that pass despite my silent ...

• The time is now

This is a poem I wrote during my time at The Governor's Institute of Vermont for The Youth Action and Global Issues week. I wrote this with Josslyn, Josie, Reese, Fiona, Sadie, and Ellie._____________...